Court issues notice to school over paternity leave pleaApril 24th, 2009 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday issued notices to the Delhi government and an unaided public school here over the plea of a school teacher challenging the deduction in his salary while he was on paternity leave.
Justice V.K. Shali issued notices to N.K. Bagrodia Public School, Seth Sagarmal Bagrodia Charitable Trust and the Director of Education (DoE) seeking an explanation within four weeks as to why paternity leave was denied to Chandramohan Jain.
Counsel for Jain, Ashok Aggarwal argued before the court that Jain’s wife had delivered a pre-term baby through a caesarean operation in December 2008 after which she as well as the baby were hospitalized.
Jain had stayed away from work to take care of his wife. The school deducted his salary on the ground that it had no provision for paternity leave.
In his petition Jain said that every unaided school in the capital was bound to provide paternity leave for a fortnight within 60 days before or after delivery.
He submitted that the Delhi Education Act and Rules say that the staff of unaided public schools shall be given salary, allowances, leave and other benefits equivalent to their counterparts in government schools.
The central government had in 1999 notified that all its employees would get paternity leave for a fortnight. Following that, the Delhi government also notified the same for its employees as well as for the staff of unaided public schools.
The petitioner urged the court to issue a declaration that the facility of paternity leave also applied to the staff of unaided public schools.
- Court asks private schools to provide paternity leave - Sep 01, 2009
- Government says private schools too should give paternity leave - Jul 06, 2009
- Salary cut for paternity leave: teacher moves court - Apr 23, 2009
- MCD deflects blame on ghost employees fiasco - Jun 02, 2011
- Court questions Delhi government on education of disabled - Jul 10, 2011
- Worrying times for striking Bengal babus (West Bengal Newsletter) - Mar 11, 2012
- Teachers approach court for revised salaries - Feb 27, 2010
- Manu Sharma's parole plea decision Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- No tax returns on salaries up to Rs.5 lakh - Jun 23, 2011
- Andhra not to pay striking Telangana employees - Sep 22, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi government on pre-school admissions - Nov 02, 2011
- Court refuses to stay toddlers' admission in Delhi schools - Dec 21, 2011
- Manu Sharma moves court for three weeks' furlough - Sep 07, 2012
- Diwali bonus for 40,000 Mumbai civic workers - Oct 26, 2011
- Government gets notice on information panel vacancies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011