Court issues notice to police on Sanjeev Nanda’s bail pleaDecember 16th, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday issued notice to the police on a bail plea filed by Sanjeev Nanda, a convict in the BMW hit-and-run case undergoing five-year prison term for mowing down six people in a soth Delhi area in 1999. Senior advocate Ram Jethmalani, appearing for Nanda, pleaded for bail on the ground that his grandfather S.M. Nanda, former Indian Navy chief, was not well and wanted to see him, his only grandson.
Justice Kailash Gambhir, however, expressed reservations, saying that the criminal appeal filed by Nanda had already reached the final stages.
“He (S.M. Nanda) is a man of excellent credentials, who has served the nation throughout his life. He was the man who took a boat and went alone to Karachi in 1971 (during the India-Pakistan war) to bomb the city. He is now above 90 years of age and is losing his memory. Whenever he gets back his memory, he remembers his only grandson,” Jethmalani said, seeking bail for the convict.
The court then agreed to hear the plea and issued notice to Delhi Police.
Sanjeev Nanda, son of arms dealer Suresh Nanda, was sentenced to five-year jail term Sep 5 for killing six people, including three policemen, by bis rash driving in the wee hours of Jan 10, 1999, at Lodhi Colony here.
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- R.K. Anand offers apology - Jan 18, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Dec 19, 2008
- Apex court advises Nanda on courtship, wedlock - Apr 12, 2010
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Delhi High Court rejects Sanjeev Nanda's bail extension plea - Jan 09, 2009
- High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Dec 19, 2008
- Nanda's friend contests his BMW conviction in apex court - Jul 24, 2009
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- Court likely to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate Monday - Jul 19, 2009
- High Court refuses to extend Sanjeev Nanda''s interim bail - Jan 09, 2009
- Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Mar 06, 2009