Court issues notice to Delhi government over placement agenciesJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 22 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday issued notice to the chief secretary of the Delhi government and the Delhi Police Commissioner asking what they are doing to deal with the trafficking of girls and boys and for implementing a law to regulate placement agencies.A division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Sanjeev Khanna asked the chief secretary and the Delhi Police chief to appear before it Friday asking about their strategy to deal with the issue.
The court was hearing a public interest petition filed by the NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan, alleging that placement agencies were responsible for the illegal trafficking of girls and sought a direction to the state government for compulsory registration of all such agencies.
The girls were sometimes forced into prostitution and boys forced into illegal activities, the NGO alleged.
According to the NGO, early this month about 35 girls and four boys were rescued from various placement agencies here.
The Delhi Police recovered objectionable material, including pornographic CDs, literature, pregnancy test kits and contraceptives, from the placement agencies which raised doubts about the purpose of the people running the agencies, the petitioner NGO said.
- Court gets draft Delhi bill on trafficking of kids - May 28, 2012
- Court gets draft Delhi bill on trafficking of kids (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Draft law ready to regulate Delhi placement agencies - Mar 07, 2012
- Court transfers human trafficking case to Crime Branch - Jan 28, 2009
- Court slams Delhi Police over human trafficking - Jan 23, 2009
- Complaints of growing abuse by placement agencies in Delhi - Jul 03, 2011
- Cancel licences of units employing child labourers: Court - Apr 28, 2011
- Delhi High Court orders probe into child trafficking - Jan 22, 2009
- Police rescue children from traffickers - Mar 11, 2011
- Delhi government to frame guidelines to check human trafficking - Feb 04, 2009
- Apex court seeks response to NGO's missing children action plan plea - Aug 28, 2012
- 7-year-old servant girl rescued in Delhi - Apr 07, 2011
- Seven kids go missing in Delhi every day - Jul 20, 2011
- Prohibit employment of children in circuses: apex court (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Court slams official for lapses in child workers' rescue (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011