Court issues notice to Amod Kanth in 1984 medal caseSeptember 16th, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday issued notice to former police officer Amod Kanth and one of his colleagues on an appeal against the dismissal of a plea for stripping him of the police medal awarded for maintaining law and order during the 1984 anti-Sikh riots here.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna issued notice to Kanth and the then station house officer S.S. Manan of Paharganj police station seeking their reply by Dec 13.
Petitioners Amrik Singh Lovely and Trilok Singh moved the appeal after a single judge bench had rejected their plea April 7. They alleged that former Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Kanth and Manan were wrongly awarded the president’s police medals for gallantry.
The duo had implicated the Sikh community’s members during the riots which followed the assassination of the then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards Oct 31, 1984, the petitioners alleged.
The petition, seeking a direction to the union home ministry to withdraw the police medal for gallantry conferred on Kanth and Manan by a presidential notification on June 7, 1985, was dismissed by Justice S. Muralidhar.
Though the judge noted that the 1984 riots in Delhi have “left deep scars on the collective memory of the nation, and especially of the Sikh community” and that the “role of the State machinery has come under critical scrutiny”, he said there was little scope for judicial review in the case.
“It is arguable that in the context of a tragedy of such proportions, the state ought to display sensitivity to the feelings of the victim community and be circumspect in hastening to award gallantry medals to the officials of the law enforcement machinery soon after the events. Yet, the scope of judicial review in such matters is limited,” he said while rejecting the petition.
- Court rejects plea to withdraw Amod Kanth's medals - Apr 07, 2011
- Court seeks government's response on plea against Amod Kanth (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Court questions government on plea against Amod Kanth - Jun 03, 2011
- 'Approach another court for proceedings against Amod Kanth' - Dec 19, 2009
- No shield for Kanth in Uphaar fire case trial - Aug 26, 2010
- 1984 riots: Delhi High Court refuses to stay trial of Sajjan Kumar - Aug 20, 2010
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
- Apex court calls for files of 18 mercy pleas (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- SC notice to Haryana government on mosque land - Jun 18, 2012
- 1984 riot victims seek Amod Kanth's prosecution - Jan 10, 2010
- 1984 riots: Delhi Police shielded Sajjan Kumar, says CBI to Supreme Court - Aug 27, 2010
- Apex court notice to Kanda, brother in assault case (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- No CBI probe into Mumbai triple blasts: Supreme Court (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: amrik singh, anti sikh riots, collective memory, critical scrutiny, delhi high court, dipak, division bench, gallantry medals, house officer, indian police service, indira gandhi, manan, police medal, prime minister indira, sanjiv, sikh community, state machinery, station house, trilok, union home ministry