Court hears plea for exemption from Gurgaon Expressway tollFebruary 27th, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notices to the central and Delhi governments, the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) and the Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) on a petition seeking exemption from daily toll payment on the New Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway. Chief Justice M.K. Sharma and Justice Reva Khetarpal asked all the respondents to file their responses by March 26, the next date of hearing.
Last month, Vivek Bharat Ram filed a public interest litigation (PIL) contending that paying the toll every day would be a financial burden for those who commute between New Delhi and Gurgaon every day.
Seeking the court’s intervention, the petitioner’s counsel Suchit Kumar Sahijpal said the government should either exempt the daily commuters from paying the toll or construct alternative roads for them.
The much-delayed Rs.10 billion, 27-km expressway was thrown open Jan 23, reducing the travel time for tens of thousands of commuters and international air passengers.
- Operator charges toll at two Gurgoan plazas - Sep 05, 2012
- DGSCL files contempt petition against NHAI - Mar 27, 2012
- No toll on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days: Court - Sep 04, 2012
- NHAI, Gurgaon expressway operator get time for talks - Aug 30, 2012
- Considering out-of-court solution on expressway: NHAI - Aug 06, 2012
- Court restrains NHAI on contract termination - Mar 02, 2012
- NHAI, private firm settle Gurgaon toll plaza issue - Jul 05, 2012
- Toll rates hiked on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - Apr 01, 2010
- 'Accidents rise on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway' - Apr 13, 2012
- Supreme Court to review BOT policy (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Haryana farmers want their 350 acres back from DLF - Jul 17, 2012
- Car hijacked, driver murdered on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway - Jun 11, 2012
- Officials, ambulances to go free on Yamuna Expressway - Aug 10, 2012
- Protest in Chhattisgarh capital against toll plaza - Jan 11, 2012
- High Court notice to Delhi government on contempt plea - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: air passengers, bharat ram, chief justice, commuters, delhi high court, financial burden, haryana urban development, haryana urban development authority, haryana urban development authority huda, national highway authority of india, New Delhi, nhai, open jan, petitioner, public interest litigation, respondents, reva, suchit, travel time, urban development authority