Court hauls up Delhi Police for not implementing orderAugust 29th, 2012 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notice to Delhi Police and the Department of Women and Child Development on a plea seeking implementation of Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) order against adults who force children to commit crimes.
The petition, filed by an NGO, told the court that Delhi Police have not complied with the order given by the JJB on Jan 25, 2011.
The order directed the police to investigate and act against adults using children to commit thefts.
The PIL sought protection of children who are trafficked and lured into crime by adults.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, hearing the PIL, asked Delhi Police to file a status report “indicating the steps taken by it to implement the order of JJB”, and posted the matter for Oct 3.
In 2011, the JJB had asked police to take action against a gang called “Thak Thak (Knock-Knock)”, which had been using children to carry out thefts.
“The failure of the police to follow the order of JJB-I and to investigate adults involved with the organised crime has sent a wrong message to adult criminals and thus, the abuse and exploitation of vulnerable and helpless children continues unabated…,” said the petition.
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
- Consider making police stations tobacco-free: Delhi High Court - Jun 12, 2012
- Frame right to education rules, Delhi government told (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles - Jul 19, 2012
- Civic agencies get court notice on illegal hookah bars - Aug 01, 2012
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Court declines plea on blocking of web pages - Sep 05, 2012
- Tiwari must give blood sample for DNA test, says court - Apr 27, 2012
- Delhi court asks police to investigate Islamist website - Feb 22, 2012
- Why not asylum to Pakistani Hindus, court asks government - Dec 21, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi government on pre-school admissions - Nov 02, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi University on teachers' attendance - Aug 29, 2012
- Government asked to finalise policy on ex-judges' advice - Feb 29, 2012
- Court asks Delhi to decide on tobacco ban plea - Aug 22, 2012
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: adult criminals, adults, chief justice, child development, crimes, delhi high court, delhi police, division bench, failure, helpless children, jjb, juvenile justice board, knock knock, New Delhi, ngo, petition, pil, plea, rajiv, sahai