Court grants Czech’s plea to get back passportNovember 7th, 2008 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Siliguri (West Bengal), Nov 6 (IANS) A West Bengal court has agreed to give back the passport of a Czech national who was arrested for collecting rare insects from a national park in Darjeeling.The Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Court of Darjeeling district sanctioned the plea filed by Petr Seapetr who had been arrested under the Wildlife Protection Act on June 22 near Singalila National Park, some 100 km from Darjeeling town, for collecting rare insects like beetles, butterflies and moths without permission.
The court has agreed to give back his passport Nov 10 through the office of the District Forest Officer (DFO), Darjeeling.
However, the court did not agree to return the passport to another arrested entomologist, Emil Kuchera, who reportedly left India by crossing the country’s border with Nepal on Oct 21.
Both Seapetr and Kuchera were sent to jail. Later, Kuchera got a three years imprisonment besides a fine of Rs.60,000, while Seapetr was let off with a fine of Rs. 20,000.
Kuchera was later given bail after appealing to a higher court, but his passport was impounded.
- Czech entomologist jumps bail, flees India - Oct 29, 2008
- Czechoslovakian entomologist jumps bail, escapes from India - Oct 28, 2008
- Scientists call for release of Czech jailed in India - Jul 04, 2008
- Darjeeling court convicts two Czech entomologists - Sep 11, 2008
- Two Czech nationals convicted for theft of butterflies - Sep 08, 2008
- Predators too prefer food with nutritional value - Jan 13, 2012
- Ginger root helps conserve stag beetles - Jan 10, 2011
- Bangkok's insect food: protein-rich cricket cookies, bamboo-worm pizzas (Feature with pics) - Mar 25, 2012
- Scientists sequence genome of plant world's "mosquito" - Feb 23, 2010
- 2 new species of 'leaping' beetles found in New Caledonia - Jan 19, 2011
- Police to fast track Chennai boy abduction case - Nov 04, 2010
- CRPF starts taking over Delhi High Court security - Sep 09, 2011
- GM crops no longer safe from pests - Jun 21, 2012
- Bangladeshi man gets 10 years in jail in India - May 24, 2010
- Court slaps Rs.15,000 fine for passport delay - Nov 10, 2011