Court directs police to probe MCD’s ‘ghost’ employees scamMay 26th, 2010 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday directed the city Commissioner of Police Y.S. Dadwal to conduct an independent probe into the scam of “ghost” employees in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Madan B. Lokur directed the police commissioner to hold a detailed inquiry into allegations that the civic agency has on its rolls certain employees that do not exist.
The court was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) by voluntary organisation Jagrook Welfare Society through counsel C.S. Parashar, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry or an independent agency’s probe into the scam.
After a media report in November last year, the MCD revealed that there were 22,853 gardeners and sweepers as ‘ghost employees’ on its payrolls and admitted it was an administrative lapse that cost the civic body Rs.17 crore every month.
The court slammed the MCD May 12 for “concealing facts” in its affidavit on money paid to “ghost employees”.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice Madan B. Lokur and Justice Mukta Gupta had said: “This affidavit conceals everything and reveals nothing. It does not disclose facts. This is a very nicely drafted affidavit concealing the facts by the agency.”
The high court has now directed the police to submit the investigation report on the same within two months and slated the matter for further hearing on Aug 25.
- Court orders police probe into MCD's 'ghost' employees (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- High court raps MCD for concealing facts on ghost staff - May 12, 2010
- MCD deflects blame on ghost employees fiasco - Jun 02, 2011
- Police accuse MCD of delaying probe into ghost staff case - Aug 25, 2010
- Two cases filed over MCD's ghost staff, court told - Oct 27, 2010
- MCD 'ghost' employees: court demands inquiry report - Feb 24, 2010
- 168 'ghost' MCD workers detected, police tell court (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Police give report to court on MCD's ghost employees - Jan 19, 2011
- Court issues notice to MCD over 'ghost' employees - Feb 10, 2010
- Chandigarh man on MCD rolls surprises court (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- MCD has 80,000 street cleaners, but how many work? (To go with Games knock door, but litter-free Delhi a distant dream) - Jun 22, 2010
- Delhi civic agency given 4 months to clear encroachments - May 12, 2010
- Court summons MCD chief over zoo flooding threat - Jul 13, 2011
- MCD, DDA pulled up over illegal encroachments - Apr 29, 2010
- Staff scam: Delhi Mayor wants CBI probe, rules out new hiring (Second lead) - Nov 26, 2009
Tags: affidavit, central bureau of investigation, city commissioner, civic body, commissioner of police, delhi high court, dipak, division bench, independent agency, independent probe, investigation report, madan, misra, mukta, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, police commissioner, public interest litigation, voluntary organisation, welfare society