Court denies bail to wheat import fraud accusedAugust 19th, 2008 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) A city court Tuesday refused bail to a senior official of State Trading Corp (STC), H.R. Sardana, who is accused of irregularities in the import of wheat from Australia in 1998.Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Vinod Goel refused to grant bail to Sardana, stating that his company was the main beneficiary in the import of wheat.
Sardana in his bail plea stated that one of the accused S.M. Dewan, chief managing director of the company, had already got bail from the Delhi High Court so he should also be granted bail on the same grounds.
Both were arrested July 9 by the CBI.
The CBI had found that the two had acquired properties and assets, including 14 immovable properties worth millions of rupees in Delhi, Noida, Faridabad and Gurgaon.
Dewan and other officials were allegedly involved in the award of contract to the Australian Wheat Board (AWB) and played a crucial role in the deal.
The CBI registered a case in September 2001 following allegations that the decision to import 2 million tonnes of wheat from AWB was taken even though the stock position of wheat was comfortable in 1998.
The other bidders were rejected allegedly on frivolous grounds and the contract was awarded to AWB at an exorbitant price.
During the probe, a letter rogatory (LR) was sent to Australian authorities seeking information on certain vital aspects, like the involvement of middlemen in the contract and the payment of commission, if any, in the deal.
The CBI filed the closure report in the case in January 2004 because the Australian authorities did not provide the required information.
However, a subsequent inquiry by the Australian government on the conduct of its companies involved in the UN Oil for Food Programme for Iraq revealed that the AWB paid commission in the sale of wheat to India in 1998.
- Court extends custody of accused in wheat import fraud - Jul 17, 2008
- STC officials' custody extended to Aug 6 in wheat import scam - Jul 23, 2008
- Two arrested in wheat import fraud - Jul 09, 2008
- Indian-origin American arrested in wheat import scam - Jul 18, 2008
- CBI reopens case of Australian wheat import fraud - Jul 08, 2008
- Former STC chairman arrested by CBI in wheat scam - Jul 09, 2008
- After Kalmadi, his aides Bhanot, Jayachandran get bail (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea - Jan 19, 2012
- After Darbari, another Kalmadi aide gets bail in CWG scam case (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Chronology of Bofors scandal - Jan 03, 2011
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Court reserves order on Raja's bail plea (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- CWG graft case: Two accused granted bail (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Court refuses relief to Uttar Pradesh scam accused - Apr 04, 2012
- High court refuses to cancel Jagan aide's bail (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012