Court denies bail to Bangladesh ex-premier HasinaOctober 30th, 2008 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Oct 30 (DPA) Bangladesh’s Supreme Court Thursday denied bail in a graft case to former prime minister Sheikh Hasina Wajed, now paroled for medical treatment abroad.A five-member appellate division bench headed by Chief Justice MM Ruhul Amin passed the order during a hearing into the case filed by a businessman last year.
The court order came at a time when the country’s major political parties were preparing for December’s general election with a fear that Hasina of the Awami League and her fellow former prime minister Khaleda Zia of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, both of whom face corruption charges, might be kept away from the election fray.
The parties have been warning the interim government they might boycott the election if their top leaders are barred from the polls.
The government said the archrivals would be able to contest the election unless a court convicts them.
Hasina’s attorney Shafik Ahmed said the court ruling was unexpected, adding, “The court is allowing convicted people bail, but our appeal has been rejected.”
But the government lawyer Salauddin Ahmed said the rejection of the appeal came on the basis of a majority ruling by the judges.
In late September, the high court rejected Hasina’s request for bail and she appealed to the Supreme Court.
Hasina is implicated in five graft cases since the present interim administration of Fakhruddin Ahmed took over in January 2007 in the wake of political turmoil.
She was detained July 16, 2007 and was given a temporary release June 11 this year to seek medical treatment abroad.
Zia, who has also been implicated in a number of graft cases, was released from jail on bail Sep 11 after nearly a year of detention.
- Bangladesh may act against ex-chief advisor, army chief - Apr 19, 2011
- Bangladesh's former PM evicted amid protests (Fourth Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- WikiLeaks: India worried over Hasina, Zia - Dec 20, 2010
- Zia firm over strike despite losing apex court appeal (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Khaleda Zia put under house arrest, says Bangladesh opposition (Second Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Uncertainties may delay Bangladesh poll schedule announcement - Oct 31, 2008
- Strike in Bangladesh over Khaleda Zia's eviction - Nov 14, 2010
- Opposition leader asked to vacate house - Oct 17, 2010
- Khaleda Zia evicted from home (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Khaleda Zia slapped with case over undisclosed money - Aug 08, 2011
- Bangladesh's ruling ally threatens to quit - Mar 13, 2011
- Khaleda threatens agitation against Hasina government - Nov 18, 2010
- Bangladesh court invalidates ex-military ruler's laws - May 15, 2011
- Court invalidates provision for caretaker Bangladesh government - May 10, 2011
- Bangladesh asks Canada to deport Mujib killer - Feb 21, 2011