Court denies anticipatory bail to Kanda (Lead)August 17th, 2012 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday dismissed the anticipatory bail plea of Haryana’s former minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, accused of abetting in the suicide of former flight attendant Geetika Sharma.
The court dismissed Kanda’s plea on technical grounds without going into the merits of the case.
Justice P.K. Bhasin said: “In my view, this anticipatory bail application is liable to be rejected, without going into the merits at all, only on the ground that the same has not been filed by the person (Kanda) apprehending his arrest.”
The court dismissed the plea, observing that the affidavit filed with the bail application was not signed by Kanda, but was signed by his brother.
“The present anticipatory bail application has been filed on the instruction of one Govind Kumar, who claims himself to be the brother and ‘pairokaar’ of Gopal Goyal Kanda,” Justice Bhasin said.
“In the entire application, not even a word has been said as to why Gopal Goyal Kanda himself had not sworn an affidavit in support of this application if at all he had filed the same,” Justice Bhasin said, dismissing the plea.
“Considering the fact that Gopal Goyal Kanda is a free man, at least at the present point of time, he alone could have moved the anticipatory bail application supported by his own affidavit and in the absence of his having done that, this application cannot be considered by this court to have actually been filed by him,” court added.
The former Haryana minister was booked for abetment to Geetika’s suicide and criminal intimidation. He is yet to appear before Delhi Police for questioning.
Geetika, 23, was found hanging from the ceiling of her house in north Delhi’s Ashok Vihar on Aug 5. She left behind two suicide notes, blaming Kanda and his employee Aruna Chaddha, who is now in judicial custody.
Geetika earlier worked as a flight attendant in the MDLR Airlines owned by Kanda. After the airlines ceased to function in 2009, she was given a job in another company owned by him.
Kanda’s anticipatory bail plea was dismissed Aug 9 by a sessions court here.
- Court denies anticipatory bail to Kanda (Second lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail - Aug 13, 2012
- Kanda's anticipatory bail plea decision Friday - Aug 16, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Kanda may move high court for anticipatory bail - Aug 10, 2012
- Court reserves order on Kanda's anticipatory bail plea (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Court denies Kanda shield against arrest (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Suicide notes are not gospel truth: Kanda lawyer - Aug 14, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Court denies anticipatory bail to Kanda - Aug 17, 2012
- Court reserves order on Kanda's anticipatory bail plea (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Kanda arrested after surrender, to be taken to court (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Court rejects Aruna Chaddha's bail plea - Sep 07, 2012
- Chaddha's police custody extended by three days - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: abetment, affidavit, aruna, ashok, bail plea, bhasin, criminal intimidation, delhi high court, delhi police, flight attendant, free man, geetika, haryana minister, judicial custody, left behind, mdlr airlines, merits, New Delhi, north delhi, suicide notes