Court defers taking cognizance of NIA’s 26/11 charge sheet (Lead)January 7th, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) A Delhi court Saturday deferred to Jan 21 taking cognizance of the charge sheet filed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) against Pakistani American David Headley and eight others in the 26/11 terror attack.
Special NIA Judge H.S. Sharma said: “In order to facilitate proper appreciation of arguments, it is necessary to have relevant documents.”
The court while deferring the matter observed that none of the accused in the said case had been arrested till now.
Judge Sharma heard the arguments and told the investigating officer (IO) of the case to come with more documents.
“The IO has assured that all relevant documents shall be referred to during the arguments on the next date of hearing,” said the court.
The NIA filed an application for seeking permission for sending a letter of request to the competent authority for investigation in a country or place outside India.
Three years after the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, the NIA Dec 24 last year formally filed charges against seven Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorists, including Lashkar founder Hafiz Saeed, Headley and two alleged officials of the Inter Services Intelligence of Pakistan for their role in the carnage. They have been accused of waging war against India.
Headley, who is undergoing trial in a US court, entered into a plea bargain with the American judicial authorities under which he cannot be extradited to any country, including India.