Court declines to give Hamza custody to Mumbai police (lead)June 27th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) A Delhi court Wednesday dismissed Mumbai police’s application for the custody of Abu Jindal Hamza, alias Zabiuddin Ansari, a key suspect in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav passed the order after Delhi Police opposed the plea of the Mumbai police administration on the plea that his custodial investigations are now on.
The court said it would not be appropriate to reduce Hamza’s days in Delhi Police custody - granted by a court till July 5 - at this point.
“Since the investigation by the Special Cell of Delhi Police, which has the custody of the accused (Hamza), is in full swing, it would not be appropriate for this court to cut short his (Hamza) police custody and hand over his custody to Mumbai police,” Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Vinod Yadav said.
Mumbai police moved a fresh application seeking custody of Hamza for his alleged role in 26/11 terror attack in the western metropolis. The court has listed the matter for further hearing July 5.
Mumbai police have approached a Delhi city court after a Mumbai local court issued warrant against Hamza Monday.
Mumbai police informed the court in Mumbai that Hamza was a part of the criminal conspiracy hatched in Pakistan for the terror attack in which 166 people were killed.
Hamza, an Indian mastermind of the attacks and an alleged member of the outlawed Indian Mujahideen group, was arrested at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here June 21 after his deportation from Saudi Arabia.
- Court no to Mumbai Police custody of Hamza - Jun 27, 2012
- Mumbai police want to confront Hamza with Kasab - Jun 28, 2012
- Mumbai police want to confront Hamza with Kasab (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Delhi cops to question Abu Jindal for 15 more days (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- NIA has joined Jindal interrogation, court told - Jul 04, 2012
- India seeks to nail Pakistan on 26/11 with Hamza's confession (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- 26/11 plotter Jundal to be taken to Mumbai court Saturday (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Four probe agencies to seek Jundal's custody Friday - Jul 19, 2012
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Now, Gujarat cops seek Jundal's custody - Jul 06, 2012
- Jindal taken to hospital for medical test - Jul 05, 2012
- Mumbai police seeks Abu Jindal's custody - Jun 26, 2012
- 26/11 Indian mastermind held, Mumbai police seek custody (Roundup) (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
- 26/11 control room was in Pakistan: Chidambaram - Jul 04, 2012
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: criminal conspiracy, delhi city, delhi court, delhi police, deportation, full swing, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, jindal, local court, magistrate, mastermind, metropolis, mujahideen, New Delhi, plea, police administration, police custody, saudi arabia, terror attack