Court criticises insurance company for delaying claimApril 2nd, 2009 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday came down heavily on Oriental Insurance Co (OIC) Ltd for harassing the insured person’s family by indulging in frivolous litigation to deny their claims and imposed costs of Rs.60,000 on it.
“This is a classical example of an insurance company raising frivolous pleas resulting in wastage of judicial time, delay of trial, harassment and delay in payment of compensation to the legal representatives of the deceased victim of a road accident,” Justice J.R. Midha said.
The family of a 16-year-old teenager had claimed the insurance money following his death in a road accident 13 years ago while he was going on his bicycle.
The insurance company, however, did not pay the claim, saying the vehicle was not properly insured.
They family of the deceased then approached a tribunal, which upheld their claim, and imposed costs of Rs.25,000 on the insurance company. The company then approached the high court against the tribunal’s order.
Taking strong exception to such kind of petitions on frivolous grounds, the court dismissed its plea and imposed costs on it.
- Maid killed in accident, kin to get Rs. 9 lakh in damages - Sep 22, 2011
- Insurance firms to pay for pillion riders too - Dec 13, 2009
- Rs.10 lakh awarded to road accident victim's family - May 27, 2011
- Fair land takeover package will cut litigation: Apex court - May 24, 2011
- Compensate accident victims in 120 days: Court - Dec 21, 2009
- Railways running without insurance cover - Aug 04, 2011
- State-run firm fined Rs.50,000 for frivolous plea - Aug 16, 2010
- Petitioner fined Rs.30,000 for frivolous suit - Jul 22, 2010
- Supreme Court slaps Rs.10 lakh fine on frivolous litigant - Feb 02, 2011
- Court pulls up government for 'frivolous' petitions - Nov 24, 2009
- Wary of frivolous cases, landlords keeping houses vacant: Court - Jul 09, 2011
- Gujarat court penalises insurance firm - Oct 13, 2010
- Police to be trained to deal with accident cases - Jan 15, 2010
- Can't fleece plot seekers, consumer court warns land agencies - Jul 26, 2012
- 2G scam: Court rejects Chandolia's plea with Rs.25,000 cost - Mar 01, 2012