Court convicts Sukhram in 1996 telecom caseNovember 18th, 2011 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 18 (IANS) A trail court Thursday convicted 84-year-old former telecom minister Sukhram for misusing his official position when he was in the P.V. Narasimha Rao government in 1996.
Helding Sukram guilty under the Prevention of Corruption Act and IPC, Central Bureau of Invetigation (CBI) special judge R.P. Pandey said: “The accused is convicted.”
The court, which is likely to pronounce its verdict Saturday, said: “The facts and circumstances show that because of proximity of co-accused D.S. Choudhary (since dead) with Sukh Ram, HTL was his most favoured vendor.”
Sukhram was alleged to have shown undue favour to a cable supply company in 1996.
The CBI, in its charge sheet, accused Sukhram and an accomplice allegedly accepting Rs.3 lakh in brine.
In 2009, Sukhram was held guilty of possessing disproportionate assets worth Rs.4.25 crore.
In 2002, he was awarded a three-year jail term under the Prevention of Corruption Act in a case that caused a loss of Rs.1.66 crore to the state exchequer.
The judge said though there was no direct evidence to prove a conspiracy between Sukhram and Choudhary, “it is a well-known fact that conspiracy is hatched in privacy and secrecy, for which direct evidence would be rarely available”.
- Court convicts Sukh Ram in 1996 telecom case - Nov 18, 2011
- I will appeal to higher court: Sukh Ram - Nov 19, 2011
- Five years jail for Sukh Ram in third graft conviction - Nov 19, 2011
- Sukh Ram set to surrender Saturday - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to jail (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to Tihar Jail (Second Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to Tihar (Third Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram's surrender put off by court till Friday (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Sukh Ram in coma, counsel tells court (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Sukh Ram's surrender in court put off till Friday (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Sukh Ram contests conviction, CBI asked to respond (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- High court grants bail to Sukh Ram (Lead) - Nov 28, 2011
- Sukh Ram's three-year jail term upheld in graft case (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Apex court grants interim bail to Sukh Ram (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Ex-minister Raja's arrest not first in telecom ministry - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: accomplice, assets, brine, cbi, circumstances, conspiracy, crore, direct evidence, favour, htl, jail term, lakh, New Delhi, prevention of corruption act, proximity, rs 1, secrecy, special judge, state exchequer, sukh ram