Court commissioners say their appointment is legalJuly 31st, 2008 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 31 (IANS) Court commissioners, appointed to monitor Municipal Corporation of Delhi’s (MCD) demolition drive against illegal construction, Thursday contended before the Delhi High Court that their appointment was legal. Counsels Kirti Uppal and Rakesh Khanna countered MCD’s argument that the court-appointed committee and the commissioners should be disbanded.
In July 2006, while hearing a petition seeking directions to the civic agencies to remove illegal encroachments for decongestion of the city, the bench had appointed nine court commissioners to personally visit their respective zones and monitor the demolition drive.
The lawyers submitted that the court was empowered to appoint commissioners and monitoring committee members for better implementation of the provisions of law.
“The direction of high court was not to substitute the statutory authority (MCD) officers but to observe that the MCD officers strictly comply with the court’s order,” the counsels submitted.
Following their submissions, the court sought the lawyers’ suggestion that if there can be a permanent mechanism to monitor the demolitions within the law.
The court will hear the matter further Monday.
- Court seeks action ASI report over mosque - Aug 24, 2012
- Unauthorized construction: MCD must respond - Nov 02, 2011
- MCD asked for report on sealing drive - Apr 02, 2011
- Delhi mosque demolition: DDA to file report in court - Jan 13, 2011
- SC lifts ban on 18 iron ore mines in Karnataka (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- IIT-Kanpur to probe presence of Mughal structure in Delhi park - Aug 31, 2012
- We have reclaimed land from mosque, DDA tells court - Jan 14, 2011
- High court issues notice to Bukhari, ASI (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Court pulls up civic body over non-urbanised villages - Aug 12, 2010
- Land reclaimed after mosque demolition, DDA tells court (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Delhi Police do not help stop illegal construction: MCD - Nov 20, 2010
- NGO seeks ban on mining in Karnataka, Andhra forests - Mar 30, 2011
- Apex court slams civic officials for illegal constructions - Jun 01, 2011
- Fix criteria for PDS monitoring panels, SC tells centre (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Court stays demolition of slums in west Delhi - Mar 25, 2011