Court comes to rescue of lovey-dovey coupleFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday came to the rescue of a newly-married young couple who were caught canoodling at the Dwarka Metro station by a policeman.The case deals with a couple who got married on Sep 4 last year without the knowledge of their parents. They were waiting at the Metro station for seeking the services of a lawyer to register their marriage.
While they were waiting at the Metro station near the Dwarka court complex, an Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) accosted them and allegedly told them that he knew what they were up to.
The police registered a First Information Report (FIR) for an offence under sections 294 (obscene acts) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code.
The police official did not bother to quash the FIR after finding out that the couple was married and even filed a charge sheet Jan 30 in the trial court.
The couple then moved the high court seeking a stay on the lower court proceedings.
Justice S. Muralidhar not only stayed the trial court proceedings but also pulled up the police for not inquiring properly before registering the case and also issued a notice to Delhi Police.
“It is inconceivable how, even if one were to take what is stated in the FIR to be true, the expression of love by a young married couple in the manner indicated would attract the offence of obscenity and trigger the coercive process of law,” the judge noted, and slated the matter for Feb 25.
- Kissing by married couple is not obscenity, says court - Apr 22, 2009
- Court seeks action ASI report over mosque - Aug 24, 2012
- Husband facilitates wife's gang rape in Bengal, absconding - Mar 23, 2012
- Man beaten to death in Bihar for eloping - Sep 12, 2012
- Court notice to police for not filing FIR against Kumble - Jan 06, 2012
- IIT-Kanpur to probe presence of Mughal structure in Delhi park - Aug 31, 2012
- Lawyers clash with police in Jaipur - Jan 11, 2012
- Detention, assault of two men being probed, court told - Mar 06, 2012
- How Zakia Jafri's complaint reached apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- High court quashes proceedings against Microsoft India - Mar 19, 2012
- Notice issued to Delhi Police on Yahoo plea - Jan 20, 2012
- Dismiss legislator's plea on mosque, court urged - Aug 16, 2012
- Can't book Nirmal Baba over complaint, cops tell court - Sep 10, 2012
- 'Was warned to withdraw complaint against Kejriwal' - Apr 11, 2012
- French official arrested, jailed on sexual abuse charge (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012