Court bans clip of Russians drinkingApril 17th, 2012 - 7:13 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A court in Russia’s Siberia region has banned a video compilation of drunken Russians, terming it extremist material that “denigrates the honour of the Russian people”.
The two-minute “The Whole Truth About Russians” clip was condemned by the court in Berdsk town for “comparing Russians with animals”.
The clip was uploaded onto the VKontakte website in August 2010 and was accompanied by an audio commentary describing Russian women as of loose morals and men as alcoholics, the court heard.
VKontakte is Russia’s most popular social networking site.
Prosecutors said the man who uploaded the clip has been charged with inciting hatred, and could face up to two years behind bars if found guilty.
The clip first came to the attention of police in 2011, after which it was studied by linguistic experts.
- Russian 'telephonic healer' denied presidential bid - Dec 16, 2011
- Russians protest against 'election fraud' - Dec 06, 2011
- 'Extremist' author files Russian presidential papers - Nov 29, 2011
- Russian president gains 1 mn online fans in 24 hours - Nov 11, 2011
- Russian court bans painting showing Mickey Mouse as Christ - Aug 20, 2011
- Medvedev has 1 mn Twitter followers - Feb 19, 2012
- Pussy Riot appeals verdict - Aug 28, 2012
- Russia, North Korea mark 63rd anniversary of diplomatic ties - Oct 20, 2011
- Amnesty urges Russia to respect right to protest - Dec 09, 2011
- Topless protester cuts down Cross in Ukraine - Aug 17, 2012
- Muslim woman sentenced in Russia over extremist article - Sep 13, 2012
- Chess great Kasparov faces jail for biting cop - Aug 18, 2012
- Russian social network delays IPO after Facebook crash - May 30, 2012
- Three kids die in Siberian building collapse - Sep 14, 2012
- Russian social network not to close opposition accounts - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,