Court awards five-year jail to Kashmiri militantMay 17th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) A Kashmiri militant has been awarded a five-year jail term by a Delhi court for possessing explosive material. The five-year detention undergone by the convict during the trial period would be set off against the sentence.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain Wednesday awarded five years’ rigorous imprisonment to Ayaz Ahmed Shah alias Iqbal, who was arrested Jan 22, 2004, with explosive material and Rs.3 lakh in cash. The court also slapped a fine of Rs.5,000 on him.
“I am of the opinion that the prosecution has succeeded to prove the guilt of the accused for the offence punishable under Section 5 (possessing explosives under suspicious circumstances) of the Explosive Substances Act. Thus, I hereby hold Ayaz Ahmed Shah alias Iqbal guilty,” said Judge Jain.
The court said that the convict was earlier charge sheeted for the offence of criminal conspiracy and under various sections of the explosives act. He was acquitted from all charges by a sessions court Jan 22, 2009, after it found defect in the sanction to prosecute him.
Shah remained in jail from Jan 22, 2004, to Jan 22, 2009.
Police later filed the charge sheet against him with proper sanction.
- Maoist Kobad Ghandy to stand trial for cheating (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Terror charge plea against Ghandy to come up April 9 - Mar 31, 2012
- Court accepts terror charges against Kobad Ghandy (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Court takes note of graft charges against excise official - Mar 01, 2012
- Warrants against five in 1981 plane hijacking - Aug 31, 2012
- Delhi HC blast: Court to frame charges Sep 18 (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Two get life term for murder of Meerut university professor - Sep 23, 2011
- Batla House shootout: Court paves way for trial (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Vote bank politics shields illegal Bangladeshis: Court (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Fardeen Khan gets immunity in drugs case - Feb 29, 2012
- Delhi Police file fresh charges against suspected militant - Apr 14, 2009
- Lajpat Nagar blast case: Two convicts may walk free - Apr 22, 2010
- Court rejects ex-law officer's plea in bribe case - Feb 19, 2012
- Income Tax official gets 4 years jail for bribery - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: convict, court awards, criminal conspiracy, delhi court, explosive material, explosive substances, explosives, guilt, iqbal, jail term, jain, lakh, New Delhi, offence, pawan kumar, rigorous imprisonment, sanction, sessions court, suspicious circumstances, trial period