Court awards damages to man forced to party with hookersSeptember 5th, 2012 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Sep 5 (IANS/EFE) Beverage giant AmBev was ordered by a Brazilian court to pay damages to one of its salespeople who was forced by a superior to take part in meetings and parties where prostitutes were present.
The Superior Labor Court ruled that the firm must pay an indemnity of 50,000 reais ($25,000) to the employee who accused a manager of hiring prostitutes to motivate salesmen.
AmBev will have to pay its employee for “forcing him to show up at morning meetings where prostitutes were present and for subjecting him to humiliating situations with the aim of pushing for the fulfillment of sales targets”, the court said in a communique.
The court upheld the finding of a regional court in the southern state of Parana.
Several witnesses whose testimony was heard during the investigation admitted that an AmBev sales manager hired prostitutes and had them attend meetings on at least 10 occasions in 2003-04.
The plaintiff, who said that he was married and an evangelical Christian, alleged that he was tied up so that he would attend pornographic films and that on one occasion a stripper showed up in his room.
He also said that the salespeople were forced to participate in parties at country houses attended by prostitutes, who were used as prizes for the salesmen in order to improve their sales results.
In the appeal calling for the overturning of the original verdict, AmBev claimed that the damage suffered by the employee was minimal and that the value of the indemnity was “disproportionate”.
- Brazil fines AmBev $176 mn for anti-competitive practices - Jul 23, 2009
- Three Mexicans jailed for human trafficking - Sep 04, 2011
- 52 Brazilians rescued from slave-like conditions - Feb 02, 2012
- Brazil seeking $10 bn from Chevron for oil spill - Dec 16, 2011
- Mexican airline flight attendants pose for Playboy - Apr 06, 2011
- Brazilian to return $234 mn in looted public money - Aug 24, 2012
- Mexican court upholds emergency birth control pill for rape victims - May 28, 2010
- Brazilian airline employees threaten pre-Christmas strike - Dec 22, 2010
- Brazilian lawmaker sentenced to prison for corruption - Sep 29, 2010
- Gloria Trevi's bodyguards accused of assault - May 24, 2012
- Brazil threatens Spanish firm with $10 mn fine - Jul 21, 2012
- Spain to trim another $80 bn with new austerity measures - Jul 12, 2012
- Brazil importing Spanish defence technology - Aug 24, 2012
- Brazil rains: 8,000 left homeless - Mar 14, 2011
- Argentine province offers prostitutes airfare to go home - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: ambev, brazilian court, country houses, court awards, damages, efe, fulfillment, hookers, indemnity, morning meetings, plaintiff, pornographic films, prizes, prostitutes, regional court, rio de janeiro, sales targets, salesmen, salespeople, stripper