Court asks Tihar Jail for report on water woesApril 1st, 2008 - 10:50 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday asked the Tihar Jail authorities on how they were planning to solve their water problems following a National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) report that prisoners were getting very little water. A division bench of Justices B.N. Chaturvedi and G.S. Sistani ordered the Tihar Jail authorities to submit a detailed report by April 18.
According to a NHRC report, each prisoner in Tihar Jail is entitled to 135 litres of water a day but they were being provided only 30 litres of water.
The court asked the jail authorities to file a comprehensive reply on the increasing water problem at Tihar Jail, Asia’s largest prison.
Counsel for Tihar Jail informed the court that they had appointed a consultant to seek a solution to the water problem and his report was awaited.
The court will hear the matter April 18.
- Delhi told to pay damages for Tihar inmate's suicide - Feb 06, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government, Tihar jail over custodial death - May 23, 2012
- Blast accused's jail cannot be changed, court told - Apr 21, 2010
- Tihar authorities term PUDR report 'false' - Jan 20, 2012
- Tihar jail to probe 'extra liberty' given to Kalmadi (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Jail inmates' allegations incorrect: Tihar chief - Dec 22, 2010
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal to pay Rs.16 lakh for security - Mar 16, 2012
- 2G accused wants iPad, court asks jail to consider plea - May 25, 2011
- Tihar Jail authorities arbitrary, biased: Report - Jan 19, 2012
- Jail authorities submit Amar Singh's medical record - Sep 09, 2011
- Gangster allowed to file poll papers from jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Sowing seeds of change in jail premises - Dec 23, 2011
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Tihar jail to probe 'extra liberty' given to Kalmadi - Jul 02, 2011
- Jailed murder accused 'untraceable' - Feb 20, 2012