Court asks JNU to re-admit evicted hostellersMarch 20th, 2009 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday rapped the Jawaharlal Nehru University for evicting three students for their alleged involvement in a hostel scuffle, when an enquiry was still pending.
Justice S. Ravinder Bhat, who directed the university to wrap up the enquiry within a week, asked the authorities to re-admit them in the hostel with immediate effect.
The court also said the hostel authorities cannot keep the students out till the completion of the enquiry.
The three students - Santosh Kumar Pathak, Ashutosh Singh and Shashi Shankar Singh - alleged that the senior warden of Lohit Hostel had illegally passed an order asking them to vacate the hostel.
Advocate Monica Arora, appearing for the students, said that on March 17 there was a scuffle between two factions during a student general body meeting.
Counsel alleged that the brawl started when some “unruly” students, including university union president, in a drunken state started using abusive and filthy language against the hostel residents.
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- Visva Bharati shocker: Varsity team visits student - Jul 12, 2012
- Vishva-Bharati case: Girl refuses to go back to school - Jul 10, 2012
- Visva-Bharati incident a criminal offence, says Krishna Tirath - Jul 10, 2012
- Soccer violence: 12 African students jailed for 14 days (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- PMO seeks report in Visva-Bharti incident - Jul 09, 2012
- Student clashes: Court gives directions to Himachal varsity - Jun 21, 2012
- Viswa-Bharati row: Warden gets bail, court censures police (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Viswa-Bharati shocker: PMO seeks report, earden gets bail (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2012
- Vishva Bharati case: Girl yet to recover from shock (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Viswa Bharati case: warden and parents held - Jul 09, 2012
- Arrested African students suspended after soccer violence (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Shantiniketan school girl made to drink urine for bedwetting - Jul 08, 2012
- Vishva-Bharati row: Court issues contempt notice against PM, others - Jul 13, 2012
- Visva-Bharati row: Varsity regrets incident, asks girl to return - Jul 12, 2012