Court asks government to hold mobile courts for beggars

February 18th, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by admin  


New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday asked the state government to consider the option of holding mobile courts to make Delhi a beggar-free area by Commonwealth Games 2010. The court was hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) on the increasing number of beggars in the national capital. The court had appointed a lawyer, who last year had filed a series of suggestions to tackle the issue.

“Let us start with having four mobile courts and then other recommendations will follow. But first seek permission from the concerned authorities to begin the process at least,” said a division bench comprising Justices Vikramjit Sen and P.K. Bhasin.

The bench asked the government to file its reply by Feb 25.

The suggestions filed by lawyer V.P. Chaudhary included declaring some of the beggar homes as open homes where any person driven by necessity is allowed to stay.

“Initiating measures to send beggars to their native places from where they have migrated to the Capital will be a another good option to stop the menace of begging in the capital,” Chaudhary told IANS.

Providing vocational training to beggars and biometric identification to create a personal data bank are some of the other recommendations.

Chaudhary also submitted before the court that some policemen were in league with beggars and shared their collections.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe