Court asks government to end water woes in capitalAugust 11th, 2010 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked Delhi Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta to convene a meeting within 15 days with all civic agencies to solve the shortage of potable water in various parts of the city.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Manmohan directed Mehta to convene a meeting with officials of the Delhi Jal Board (DJB), the New Delhi Municipal Council, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), the Delhi Development Authority and the Delhi Cantonment Board to chalk out a plan to ensure adequate supply of water in all areas.
The court’s direction came after the counsel for the DJB submitted that there was shortage of water supply in various areas including Dwarka.
A petition was filed by advocate Surender Sharma alleging that in east Delhi’s Shahdara area, the DJB has failed to provide adequate water supply.
“A man can live without food for a week but it is difficult to sustain without water for three days. In a welfare state an endeavour has to be made to provide water so that complaints of this nature would not come to the court,” the bench said.
The bench also took the DJB to task for not having good co-ordination with the MCD. The court directed the chief secretary to invite Additional Solicitor General (ASG) A.S. Chandhioke to take possible assistance from the central government.
The court told DJB and MCD officials to visit Mohalla Ganga Ram area of Shahdara in east Delhi to explore the possibility of creating an underground reservoir for providing sufficient supply of water.
- Delhi seeks Japanese agency's help to end water crisis - Apr 06, 2011
- High court summons MCD commissioner - Oct 06, 2010
- Ensure adequate drinking water supplies: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 13, 2012
- Reduce water supply to VVIP areas: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 18, 2012
- Help civic agency solve water woes, court tells residents - Feb 28, 2010
- East Delhi locality to get water tankers, thanks to court - Sep 25, 2009
- Dikshit urged to get drinking water in primary schools - Nov 10, 2011
- Water crisis in Delhi as Haryana cuts supply (With Image) - Jun 16, 2012
- Court issues notice after 87 days without water - Sep 05, 2009
- Checks on to ensure water quality: Delhi Jal Board - Jun 20, 2011
- Delhi Jal Board pulled up for not supplying water to locality - Sep 23, 2009
- DJB explains 'erratic' water supply in Delhi locality - Sep 07, 2009
- Spell out steps to plug leakage of phone taps: SC (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Dikshit alerts civic agencies before monsoon - Jun 14, 2012
- Delhi Jal Board water contaminated with human feces - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: adequate water supply, chief secretary, civic agencies, delhi cantonment board, delhi development authority, delhi high court, delhi jal board djb, dipak, division bench, east delhi, ganga ram, general asg, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, ram area, shortage of water, solicitor general, surender, water woes, welfare state