Court asks government for relief to blast victims (Lead)September 14th, 2011 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notices to the central and Delhi governments on a plea for giving appropriate compensation to the families of those killed and injured in the Sep 7 blast here.
The division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna issued the notice and sought the two governments’ responses by Sep 21.
Petitioner Gaurav Kumar Bansal, 28, who is secretary of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legal Aid Committee, said that the government should submit report on the measures taken to prevent terrorist attacks in the national capital.
The court refused to hear a part of his plea seeking this information from the government.
“Appropriate social security for life may be provided to those who have become permanently handicapped,” said Bansal.
The judges said they would like to know exactly how many people were killed and injured in the blast. “Let the state and the centre come out with some appropriate scheme for the victims,” said Chief Justice Misra.
“You (government) should be extremely sensitive regarding blast victims and it should be visible from your approach. What all are the plans of the government regarding the blast victims’ rehabilitation?” the court asked the government counsel.
“…The Delhi government and the centre should rise to the occasion and decide something. It’s not an ordinary incident,” said the chief justice.
The Delhi government’s standing counsel Najmi Waziri said that a compensation of Rs.4 lakh was announced for the next of the kin of those killed in the blast and Rs.2 lakh for those permanently incapacitated.
“Those seriously injured in the blast will get Rs.1 lakh while in case of a death of a minor, the family would get Rs.1.5 lakh. People who received minor injuries in the blast will be given Rs.10,000,” said counsel.
- Rs.10 lakh for Sep 7 blast victims: Court - Sep 21, 2011
- List of victims being compiled for compensation: Chidambaram - Sep 10, 2011
- Rs.4 lakh compensation for blast victims announced - Sep 07, 2011
- AIIMS gets notice for not giving amputees artificial limbs - Feb 29, 2012
- Delhi plans upgrade of facilities in 400 schools - Jan 19, 2011
- Give Rohini plots to blast victims on priority: Court (Lead) - Sep 14, 2011
- Give Delhi blast victims artificial limbs in a month: Court (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Kin of man who died due to hospitals' laxity get relief - Jan 13, 2011
- Complete Rohini plot demarcation by Oct 30, court tells DDA - Sep 23, 2011
- Give blast victims artificial limbs in 3 weeks, AIIMS told - Mar 01, 2012
- Tributes paid to victims of Delhi High Court blast - Sep 07, 2012
- Mangalore crash: Apex court notices on Rs.75 lakh compensation (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- DJP asked to pay Rs.3.5 lakh to kin of drowned kids - Feb 02, 2011
- Apex court turns down Assam's plea to reduce compensation - Jan 07, 2011
- No rollback of court fee hike, Delhi tells court - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,