Court asks government for permanent commission to women officersFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 23 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday asked the central government to consider granting permanent commission in the armed forces to serving women officers.
A division bench headed by Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul gave the government six weeks to state what it can do in this matter.
The court’s suggestion came after the government submitted that a policy decision was taken in September 2008 to grant permanent commission to women officers who would be recruited in future, but not to those already serving in the armed forces.
Following the court’s earlier direction to treat women officers at par with their male counterparts in the armed forces, the central government had taken a policy decision to grant women officers permanent commission when they are recruited in future in the Judge Advocate General (JAG) and education departments only.
It was decided that the benefits would not be extended to those women officers already in the forces.
- Gender bias in armed forces not acceptable: Court - Apr 24, 2009
- IAF grants permanent commissions to 22 women officers (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Women in combat roles in armed forces: Wait gets longer - May 21, 2012
- No gender discrimination in forces, court directs government - Jul 24, 2009
- Permanent commissions for women: Notice issued to Indian Army chief - Jul 05, 2010
- Court questions government on discouraging woman army officers - Mar 26, 2012
- Court orders permanent commissions for three IAF women officers - Mar 13, 2012
- Treat women and men officers at par, says court (Roundup) - Mar 12, 2010
- Women officers to get permanent commission now - Mar 12, 2010
- 'Permanent commissions for women only in select branches' - Nov 23, 2011
- Permanent Commission for women in Army - Aug 02, 2010
- No vacancy for women officers in army, air force: government - Dec 14, 2009
- Reinstate 11 women officers, apex court tells army - Sep 02, 2011
- Women get permanent commission in military - Mar 12, 2010
- Why discriminate when training is same, women officers ask - Nov 19, 2009