Court asks Delhi for report on school facilities for disabledOctober 1st, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 1 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the state government and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to prepare a detailed report on the absence of teachers and facilities available for disabled students in city schools.A division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar said the report should be submitted by Oct 15, the next date of hearing.
“Prepare a detailed report mentioning schools, number of students, facilities available for them and also produce the medical record of the disabled students,” the bench said.
The court was hearing a public interest litigation filed by the Social Jurist, an NGO, that had contended that 1,000 schools run by the Delhi government and 1,800 MCD schools, having thousands of students with disabilities, particularly those suffering from blindness, hearing impairment and mental retardation, do not have trained teachers.
The petition highlighted the fact that students with disabilities do not get a barrier-free environment in these schools.
Ashok Agarwal, appearing on behalf of the petitioner, cited the case of Avinash, a blind Class 3 student he met Sep 1 in the MCD School in E-block of Jahangirpuri.
Agarwal said that Avinash was in dire need of a specially trained teacher without whom he could not receive any education. The boy also needs reading and writing material in Braille.
- Court notice on absence of trained teachers for special children - Sep 17, 2008
- Contempt notice issued to Delhi chief secretary, MCD chief - Sep 20, 2010
- Court questions Delhi government on education of disabled - Jul 10, 2011
- Court constitutes panel on problems of disabled students - Oct 16, 2008
- Rules for hiring teachers for disabled approved, court told - Oct 10, 2011
- Fill vacant seats for poor students in summer vacations: Court - Apr 20, 2012
- Notice to Delhi over delayed admission of 1,400 students - Nov 02, 2011
- Schools seek government aid for educating disabled - Jan 30, 2012
- School teachers for disabled: Court questions selection board - Jul 11, 2011
- Replace tent classrooms with portable cabins: Court (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Notices to defence ministry, army for bias in military school intake - Nov 11, 2009
- Delhi High Court stays MCD circular on cycle rickshaws - Mar 02, 2012
- Delhi village to get school, power - Dec 02, 2009
- Court notice to Delhi government, MCD over poor conditions in schools - Sep 19, 2012
- Court issues notice on lack of teachers in air force school (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012