Court ask UPSC to appoint visually impaired manFebruary 25th, 2009 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday provided a ray of hope for a visually impaired man and asked the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to appoint him within six weeks on the basis of the civil service examination he cleared in 2006.
A division bench comprising of Justices A.K. Sikri and Suresh Kait imposed a cost of Rs.25,000 on the Department of Personnel and Training (DOPT) for the delay in Ravi Prakash’s appointment and forcing him to file a case over the issue.
The court also directed the government to fill seven other posts lying vacant since 1996 under the quota for disabled persons.
Prakash’s counsel argued that as per the Disabilities Act the government should give one percent to the visually challenged out of three percent reservation for the handicapped persons in the appointment to government jobs.
Prakash cleared the civil service examination in 2006 but was denied appointment by the DOPT on the ground that there was only one post meant for handicapped people.
Being aggrieved of the decision taken by the government, Prakash approached the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT), which dismissed his plea. Finally, he approached the high court challenging the CAT order.
- Court raps government for denying IAS job to blind candidate - Jul 08, 2010
- 30 disabled candidates clear UPSC exam - May 06, 2010
- Civil services English paper has experts' nod, court told - Aug 22, 2012
- High court questions Himachal on quota for disabled - Sep 02, 2011
- Plea against special exam to recruit cops dismissed (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Plea against special exam to recruit cops dismissed (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Rules for hiring teachers for disabled approved, court told - Oct 10, 2011
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- Special IPS recruitment: Court seeks government's response - Mar 21, 2012
- Government, UPSC get notices on new exam pattern - Feb 01, 2012
- Apex court sets aside Karnataka high court order indicting Bidari (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Disabled student made false claim, IIT-D tells court (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- School teachers for disabled: Court questions selection board - Jul 11, 2011
- SC upholds selected UPSC candidates right to quota benefits - May 07, 2010
- Application form not correctly filled can be rejected: court - Jan 26, 2010