Court approves prosecution of Chidambaram’s ex-clientJanuary 7th, 2012 - 11:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) A Delhi court Saturday gave the go-ahead to the Delhi government to continue prosecution of three cases against hotelier S.P. Gupta, a former client of Home Minister P. Chidambaram who earlier practised as a lawyer.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Manish Yaduvanshi allowed withdrawing the earlier plea of the Delhi government seeking the quashing of three first information reports lodged against Gupta.
The court said: “The court is of the considered view that nothing precludes the prosecution from withdrawing its earlier plea for withdrawal of prosecution.”
The court also rejected the plea of Gupta that complainant VLS Finance had no right to be heard and fixed the matter for hearing March 7.
The government Dec 15 moved a plea seeking withdrawal of its earlier application in which it had favoured withdrawal of FIRs saying no case was made out.
Chidambaram faced opposition parties’ criticism for allegedly advising his ministry to quash FIRs against Gupta, his former client and a Delhi-based hotelier.
- Plea for CBI probe into corporate ministry theft (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Plea for CBI probe into corporate ministry theft - Jan 24, 2012
- Another shocker for UPA: clamour for Chidambaram's 'dismissal' - Dec 15, 2011
- Opposition cries for Chidambaram's head, minister rejects charges (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- BJP demands Chidambaram's removal, minister rejects charges (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Chidambaram guilty of criminal offence: BJP - Dec 15, 2011
- Chidambaram should explain: CPI-M - Dec 16, 2011
- 'Deeply hurt' Chidambaram rejects conflict of interest charges - Dec 16, 2011
- PM satisfied with Chidambaram's explanation - Dec 17, 2011
- BJP seeks action against Chidambaram, forces adjournment of Rajya Sabha - Dec 20, 2011
- Never met Chidambaram, says hotelier - Dec 16, 2011
- Ruckus over Chidambaram in Rajya Sabha - Dec 21, 2011
- SC no to quashing chargesheet against Nirmal Yadav - Sep 10, 2012
- Court reserves order on charges against Salem - Feb 09, 2012
- CBI court issues fresh summons for former judge - May 18, 2011