Court acquits man convicted for raping loverAugust 19th, 2010 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday acquitted a man convicted for kidnapping and raping a minor girl in 2002, saying the girl was mature enough to take the decision to elope with him.
Justice Shiv Narayan Dhingra rejected the sessions judge’s findings that the girl was below 16 years of age when accused Kulwant Singh kidnapped her and raped her. Singh was 18-year-old at the time of the incident.
“I accept the appeal. The conviction of Singh is hereby set aside. The appellant (Singh) be set free forthwith,” said Justice Dhingra allowing Singh’s appeal against the conviction.
The court said the girl was mature enough to take a decision to run away with the boy while accepting a medical report which established the girl’s age was above 17 when the incident took place.
Justice Dhingra expressed his anguish for the girl’s mother who failed to furnish her daughter’s age proof.
He accepted the submission of the accused that the girl eloped with him Dec 14, 2002.
The court accepted Singh’s plea that they stayed together in his village for more than a month.
On a complaint by the girl’s mother, police arrested Singh on the charge of kidnapping and rape of the minor girl. Singh was sentenced to seven years’ rigorous imprisonment by the trial court.
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
- Court upholds life term for man who raped, killed daughter - Oct 23, 2011
- Probe lapses not fatal to case if guilt proved: SC - Aug 02, 2012
- Court acquits man charged with kidnapping minor - May 11, 2012
- Police pulled up for filing charges in rape case after 6 years - Feb 05, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Punjab courts pulled up for letting off alleged rapists - Oct 12, 2009
- Son of ex-cop, 2 women among 7 held for gangrape - Jul 06, 2012
- You can choose your path, court tells girl in love - Jan 18, 2011
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012
- 95-year-old woman gets life term for killing daughter-in-law - Oct 18, 2011
- Bombay HC grants actor Shiny Ahuja bail in rape case - Apr 27, 2011
- (HOLD) Delay in appeal outcome no ground for exoneration in murder: SC - Sep 08, 2012
- Apex court laments inaction against child marriages - Feb 08, 2011
- Rape victim's mother released from Chinese labour camp - Aug 10, 2012