Court acquits four men framed of rape chargesMay 5th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Twelve years after being falsely accused of rape and later convicted, four men were Tuesday acquitted by Delhi High Court of the charges brought against them by a sex worker with the alleged connivance of some Delhi Police officials.
One of the men, Pankaj Chaudhari in his plea before the court claimed that he was “paying the price for opposing a flesh trade racket near his house in 1997″.
He was arrested, along with his brother Gunjesh, and two friends Jailal Yadav and Kashim Rain, on charges of raping a neighbour, who allegedly ran a prostitution ring.
They were jailed on July 28, 1997, and then convicted for gangrape in 2000, after police then manning the Hauz Khas police station - apparently at the instance of the sex worker - decided to frame them for protesting against the racket which led to her business suffering.
Subsequently, an inquiry was ordered within the police department. The high court released the four men on bail in 2001.
“Due to allegations of rape, a stigma is attached to our names and we are facing great hardships in finding any job for our livelihood. We have been thrown out of jobs and are unable to live with dignity because we are called rapists,” they stated in their petition.
Justice S. Muralidhar acquitted the four, but reserved order on the plea of taking action against the then police officials involved in the case.
After they were convicted in 2000, their relatives alleged foul play, which led Amod Shastri, heading an NGO called Nyay Bharti, to probe the case.
Shastri’s efforts revealed that while the woman claimed she was raped at 9.30 p.m. by the four, another complaint in the same police station showed that she was arrested the same afternoon for indulging in flesh trade and let off at 10.30 p.m. on a bond of Rs.500. This indicated that she was actually at the police station at the time she claimed to have been raped at her home.
- Court directs action against cops who framed four men of rape - May 08, 2009
- Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by cops - Nov 29, 2011
- SC notice to Kerala on Achuthanandan's plea - Jul 05, 2012
- Telgi seeks reduced sentence, fine in fake stamp paper cases - Nov 17, 2011
- Tamil Nadu cops face sexual assault probe - Nov 28, 2011
- Man framed in rape case seeks Rs.4.62 crore relief (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- British women jailed for falsely accusing man of rape - Aug 27, 2011
- Bombay HC grants actor Shiny Ahuja bail in rape case - Apr 27, 2011
- Uphaar fire tragedy: Court seeks file on ex-cop - Jan 30, 2012
- Need regulator to monitor placement agencies: Court (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Accused should not gain from police lapses: SC - Aug 18, 2012
- Pune rape, murder accused awarded death penalty (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Court allows separate cell for self-styled godman - Mar 25, 2010
- Mayawati government is nervous: Congress - Jun 27, 2011
- Pakistani ringleader jailed for raping girl 30 times - Jun 22, 2012