Court acquits 12 of killing 13 Jharkhand copsMay 21st, 2012 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 21 (IANS) A Dhanbad court Monday acquitted, for lack of evidence, 12 people accused of killing 13 policemen during a large-scale attack on a Jharkhand Police picket in 2001.
Additional District Judge (ADJ) R.N. Mishra pronounced the judgment Monday in the 2001 massacre case.
Hundreds of Maoists had attacked a police picket located at Tochachi in Dhanbad district of Jharkhand in October 2001. A majority of the attackers were women cadre. In the attack, 13 policemen were killed. Maoists looted guns, bullets and other belongings of the policemen.
Police had made more than 140 persons accused in the case. Charges were framed against 12 people, including Sunjyoti Manjhain, in 2003. She was made main accused of the case.
The court Monday acquitted all the 12 people in the absence of evidence. The 44 witnesses brought before the court by police did not identify any of the accused as the attackers in the massacre, one of the worst in Maoist violence in Jharkhand.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Court acquits four suspected Maoists in 2007 massacre - Dec 15, 2011
- Maoist commander arrested - Apr 11, 2011
- Jharkhand mulls witness protection law - Apr 26, 2011
- Court summons six cops over shootout - Aug 27, 2011
- Jharkhand police failed to present key witness in massacre case - Dec 15, 2011
- Maoists attack policemen, blast rail tracks in Jharkhand - Jun 27, 2012
- Jharkhand offers cash rewards for 10 Maoists' capture - May 29, 2012
- Five Maoists involved in cop massacre held in Jharkhand - Feb 29, 2012
- SC admits plea against acquittal in Bihar massacre (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Four Maoists convicted for 2007 massacre of 19 - Jun 22, 2011
- Maoists attack policemen, blow rail tracks in Jharkhand (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Veerappan's widow acquitted in all cases in Karnataka - Apr 25, 2011
- CPI-ML to move apex court against massacre case acquittal - Apr 20, 2012
- Shibu Soren acquitted in Kudko murder case - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: absence, asian news, attackers, belongings, bullets, cops, dhanbad, district judge, guns, indo, judgment, lack of evidence, maoist, maoists, mishra, news service, policemen, rg, scale attack, violence