Couple, son held for stealing over 100 two-wheelersJuly 7th, 2008 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 7 (IANS) The Andhra Pradesh Police have arrested a couple and their son for the theft of over 100 two-wheelers here. N. Madhusudhan Reddy, his wife N. Pushpa Lata, and their 14-year-old son N. Sai Suraj Reddy were arrested for stealing 108 vehicles from public places in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad over the last two years.
Police Commissioner B. Prasad Rao said Monday that the family would steal the two-wheelers with duplicate keys, and either would pledge the stolen vehicles with pawn brokers for money or sell these to motor mechanics. All 108 vehicles worth Rs.4.5 million were recovered by the police.
Madhusudhan Reddy, 43, a former agent of Road Transport Authority (RTA), used to prepare fake documents including registration certificates to show that he and his family members owned the vehicle.
The gang was busted when the couple approached a motor mechanic in Vidyanagar neighbourhood to dispose of a two-wheeler, saying they required money for ‘treatment’.
The mechanic grew suspicious and alerted the police, which laid a trap and arrested the three offenders.
Madhusudhan Reddy, who hailed from Karimnagar district, was earlier arrested and jailed for making false documents to help thieves of two-wheelers dispose of the stolen vehicles. After his release from jail in 2003, he shifted to Hyderabad along with his wife and son, and himself started the auto-lifting business.
- Alert cops catch three auto-thieves - Jan 29, 2011
- 'Chacha-Bhatija' vehicle theft ring busted - Feb 04, 2012
- Telangana MP sent to jail - Oct 16, 2011
- Hyderabad police arrest TDP corporator - Mar 12, 2012
- Four vehicle thieves held - May 13, 2011
- Auto lifters' gang headed by retired army officer busted - May 16, 2010
- Three including ex-minister's son die in accident - Dec 20, 2011
- Thirst for lavish life turned two teens to crime - Jan 10, 2011
- Two automobile thieves held - Jan 29, 2011
- Auto thieves' gang busted in Ahmedabad - Oct 19, 2010
- MP sent to jail, 3,000 held for rail blockade in Telangana - Oct 16, 2011
- Helmets to be made mandatory for women in Delhi - Apr 25, 2012
- Gang of vehicle thieves busted in Delhi - Jun 09, 2010
- Three arrested for stealing Delhi MP's car - Sep 23, 2010
- TRS activists attack convoy of TDP leaders - May 25, 2011