Couple sacrifices daughter to attain wealthAugust 18th, 2010 - 1:46 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 18 (IANS) A poverty-stricken couple in an Uttar Pradesh village allegedly killed their four-year-old daughter after a self-proclaimed godman assured them that the act would attain them affluence, police said Wednesday.
Shri Krishna and his wife Rama Devi are absconding. The body of their daughter Kanni was recovered late Tuesday evening from their house in Sitapur district’s Dahelikushepa village, some 80 km from Lucknow.
“Investigations reveal it is a case of human sacrifice. Flowers, packets of sindoor (vermillion), incense sticks and other ‘puja’ items were recovered from near the girl’s body,” police inspector Rajveer Singh told reporters in Sitapur.
“The body, which was found buried in the courtyard, had multiple burn injuries. It appeared that the girl was attacked with a sharp-edged weapon. The body has been sent for post-mortem examination,” he added.
The couple killed their daughter under the influence of a ‘tantrik’, Shiv Kumar, who too is absconding.
Villagers, who noticed Shiv Kumar entering the couple’s house Tuesday morning, informed the police after they heard Kanni’s screams.
“They managed to escape. The same ‘tantrik’ had also suggested other families to go for a child sacrifice in order to get rid of their poverty,” the police inspector said.
“Locals said Shri Krishna and his wife believed they would attain affluence overnight with the ways suggested by Shiv Kumar,” he added.
- Human sacrifice: Four arrested for killing girl - Oct 08, 2011
- Man kills neighbour's daughter on tantrik's order - Oct 23, 2010
- Man kills niece for prosperity - Aug 10, 2010
- Youth marries 60-year-old widow - Oct 20, 2009
- Three bodies found near Uttar Pradesh town - Sep 22, 2011
- Man sacrifices boy on godman's suggestion - Aug 09, 2011
- Boy's beheaded body found, sacrifice suspected - Feb 18, 2010
- Five pilgrims killed in Uttar Pradesh road accident - May 13, 2011
- Class 9 students held for killing schoolmate - Sep 02, 2011
- Father sacrifices two-year-old daughter - May 21, 2009
- Three held for minor's murder in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 17, 2010
- Two held with opium worth Rs.7 crore - Jul 27, 2010
- Class 12 student killed over love affair with teacher - Jan 07, 2011
- Man kills daughter's lover for family honour - Feb 18, 2011
- Four Uttar Pradesh cops suspended - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: affluence, child sacrifice, edged weapon, human sacrifice, incense sticks, kanni, mortem examination, police inspector, post mortem, puja items, rajveer singh, rama, sacrifices, shiv kumar, shri krishna, sitapur district, tantrik, tuesday evening, tuesday morning, uttar pradesh