Couple confess to circulating 10 mn fake notesSeptember 16th, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 16 (IANS) A couple arrested in Uttar Pradesh with fake Indian currency have admitted to circulating over 10 million fake notes in the state, the police said Tuesday. Zaquir and Mamta Sahi were arrested Sunday from Bhalua village in Siddharthnagar district with Rs.575,000 in fake currency. Most currency in their possession were in the denomination of Rs.500 and Rs.1,000.
This is the second major fake currency haul after a racket surfaced in the State Bank of India branch in Domariyaganj in Siddharthnagar town following the arrest of its cashier Sudhakar Tripathi July 29.
Zaquir and Sahi revealed that they used to buy fake currency at half the value from a man in Bihar and circulate them in Uttar Pradesh, Siddharthnagar Superintendent of Police Anil Das told IANS.
The two are natives of Motihari in Bihar and were suspected to be working along with Tripathi and his partner Abid Sheikh.
The police said a police team would soon leave for Bihar. “Two of their associates, Surendra and Ramesh, managed to escape. We hope to arrest them soon,” Das added.
- Couple confesses to circulating 10 mn fake notes in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 16, 2008
- Fake currency recovered from Uttar Pradesh village - Sep 15, 2008
- Man held with counterfeit currency - Nov 05, 2011
- Fake currency unit busted in Bihar - Apr 26, 2011
- Counterfeit currency: Former defence official arrested - Jun 13, 2011
- Fake currency unit busted, three held - Jan 10, 2011
- Fake Indian currency recovered, three held - Mar 18, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh inspector sacked for stealing money recovered in raid - Aug 26, 2008
- Nepali national held for ISI links - Jun 05, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh fake currency scam: CBI summons senior SBI officials - Oct 05, 2008
- Three held with Pakistan-made fake currency - Nov 25, 2010
- Three held with fake currency worth Rs.1 lakh - Nov 18, 2011
- Two held with fake currency notes - Oct 15, 2011
- SBI fake currency scam: termination of inspector stayed - Sep 14, 2008
- Two held with counterfeit currency notes - Aug 17, 2009