Corruption drives Uttar Pradesh farmer to suicideApril 11th, 2008 - 7:31 pm ICT by admin
Lucknow, April 11 (IANS) The death of a young farmer who set himself ablaze in Bijnore district of Uttar Pradesh Thursday was attributed to rampant corruption in the local land revenue and consolidation offices of the state. The 30-year-old Ashok set himself on fire before the office of the Bijnore district magistrate after he was made to run from pillar to post for the past one year to ensure proper settlement of a small land holding he owned.
He succumbed to the burn injuries in the Bijnore district hospital Friday.
His wife told a TV channel: “We had given Rs.35,000 bribe to the consolidation officer and the lekhpal (stenographer). Still they were not satisfied and wanted more money.”
Ashok gave up his efforts after he failed to get his grievances redressed even from the district magistrate. He was reported to be under a huge debt after borrowing money to pay the bribes to state government officials.
Meanwhile, the state government has taken serious note of the issue. An official spokesman of the state home department told IANS here: “We are getting the matter probed by higher-ups and we will not allow the guilty to get away with this.”
- Two lawyers killed in Uttar Pradesh clash - Sep 03, 2011
- Lawyers in Uttar Pradesh boycott work - Sep 05, 2011
- Six hungry orphan siblings of UP seek death - Aug 30, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh clash: 35 officials arrested - Sep 04, 2011
- Fighting corruption - a poor farmer's way - Jun 14, 2012
- Cop, engineers, accountant caught taking bribes - Jul 21, 2012
- Online complaint cell planned for Bengal polls - Feb 23, 2011
- Floodwater disrupts normal life in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 16, 2011
- Government unveils bill for time-bound public services - Nov 02, 2011
- Jharkhand CM's website to be made more effective - Jul 23, 2012
- CBI questions head of Syrian Jacobite Church in murder case - Oct 21, 2011
- Father seeks justice for son's death - Aug 05, 2011
- Ombudsman said to slam Yeddyurappa over illegal mining - Jul 21, 2011
- Haryana bureaucrat arrested in corruption case - Feb 16, 2012
- Eight die in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 12, 2011