Corruption a major threat: ex-army officerMay 5th, 2012 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
Aligarh, May 5 (IANS) Corruption and criminalization of politics are the greatest threats to internal security, former deputy chief of army staff Lt Gen N.S. Malik has said.
On Friday, he asked the young to come forward to give a strong political leadership to the country.
“India has a number of challenges threatening its security and sovereignty. The growing power of China and instability in Pakistan region to corruption and criminalization of politics are the few ones. We must prepare ourselves to address these challenges”, Malik said.
He was giving a lecture on ‘National Security - Vision and Challenges’ organised by the Mangalayatan University.
“Youngsters are present and future of this country. Why shouldn’t they come forward to give powerful leadership to the country? India needs strong political leadership to shape the future,” he said.
He described the growing power of China and instability in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region as most challenging for India.
“India should take precautionary steps for its security and sovereignty. Successful testing of Agni-5 is one of them. We have to keep this spirit alive for coming challenges,” he said.
“Corruption and criminalization of politics is greatest threat for internal security. We must keep a watch. Discipline and patriotism among citizens are essential ingredients to be a superpower,” Malik said.
Students asked a number of questions ranging from corruption in defence deals to Kargil war.
Mangalayatan University vice-chancellor S.C. Jain presented a memento to Malik.
- Agni-V will adequately meet India's deterrence: Natarajan - Apr 19, 2012
- Pakistan's political instability threat to India: Narayanan - Jan 21, 2011
- Antony warns of emerging threats from China, AfPak - Apr 24, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile test in February - Nov 16, 2011
- 'Chinese military power in line with defence needs' - Jun 04, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile propels India into elite club (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- 'US appreciates India closing missile gap with China' - Apr 24, 2012
- Tharoor penning book on India's role in new world - Nov 17, 2011
- World media looks at Indian missile through China prism - Apr 20, 2012
- No political instability in Pakistan: Envoy - Jan 13, 2012
- India's missile test is not bad news for the world (Comment) - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Economic connectivity precondition for South Asia political stability' - Jul 13, 2012
- UN chief lauds India's role in Security Council - Apr 27, 2012
- Political, institutional reform can make India a superpower: Sibal - Apr 24, 2011
- Stamping out cancer like corruption biggest challenge: Kalam - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, agni, aligarh, army officer, army staff, chief of army, country india, criminalization of politics, defence deals, deputy chief, essential ingredients, india india, internal security, jain, malik, political leadership, precautionary steps, security vision, successful testing, vice chancellor