Corrupt Chinese man hid in hills for eight yearsNovember 15th, 2011 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 15 (IANS) A former bank official in China hid in mountains for eight years, drinking river water and eating sweet potatoes, after he embezzled over $4 million. He has now surrendered to the police.
Chen Jianxue, 42, in southern Hainan province, went into hiding after swindling more than 30 million yuan, reported Shanghai Daily.
The former vice director of the Lingao County branch of the Agriculture Bank of China gave himself up Tuesday, said prosecutors.
The embezzlement was noticed in 2003.
“I lived in a mountain forest near my hometown. I dug a small hole for myself and hid in it (during) danger,” the Nanguo Metropolis Daily quoted Chen as saying.
In 2004, he went home and began secretly living with his wife. But he was recognised and he fled. His wife was jailed for three years for helping him hide.
- Chinese official gets death term for graft - Apr 24, 2012
- Chinese swindles over $474,000 with bank passwords - May 21, 2012
- China official sacked, arrested for taking bribe - Sep 30, 2011
- Chinese official jailed for 15 years for graft - Feb 20, 2012
- 12 Chinese school principals sacked over lunch scam - Aug 08, 2011
- Two Chinese officials executed for bribery - Jul 19, 2011
- Chinese official sentenced for embezzlement - Jun 05, 2012
- Chinese held for poaching panda 17 years ago - Feb 10, 2012
- Global manhunt for Chinese rogue banker - Mar 27, 2012
- Chinese man probed for building underground house - Sep 03, 2010
- Chinese official given death for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012
- Former Chinese soccer chief goes on trial for graft - Apr 25, 2012
- Indian man robbed in China - Apr 26, 2011
- Chinese seeks help over stingy wife - Jun 28, 2011
- Three more added to the list of corrupt referees - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: 30 million, agriculture bank of china, bank of china, beijing, chinese man, embezzlement, hainan province, hometown, lingao, metropolis, mountain forest, mountains, prosecutors, river water, shanghai, sweet potatoes, vice director, yuan