Corporation Bank needs Rs.16 bn to meet Basel III normsJuly 18th, 2012 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 18 (IANS) Public sector Corporation Bank will require capital infusion of Rs.16 billion to meet Basel III capital adequacy norms for 2013-14, Chairman and Managing Director Ajai Kumar said Wednesday.
“Upto March, 2013 I am comfortable under Basel III. I will require Rs.1,600 crore capital for 2013-14 under severe conditions,” Kumar told reporters on the sidelines of a FICCI event here.
Basel III capital regulation is aimed at improving the banking sector’s ability to absorb shocks arising from financial and economic stress.
The Mangalore-headquartered bank’s capital adequacy ratio currently stood at 12 percent.
Kumar said the bank would require some time to reduce its corporate bulk deposits to 10 percent of its total deposits for the current financial year as asked by the government.
“Ours (bulk deposits) is slightly higher. Our bulk deposits ranges close to 40 percent of the total deposits. It would be really difficult for me to come up to that (10 percent) level. I will require some time because the growth also has to happen,” he said.
The finance ministry recently asked public sector banks to cap corporate bulk deposits at 10 percent of total deposits for the current financial year. Bulk deposits are usually term deposits above Rs.1 crore, with a maturity of less than a year.
- Banking stocks fall on concern new norms may hit profits - May 03, 2012
- RBI gives banks draft guidelines on capital regulation - Dec 30, 2011
- UCO Bank focusing on lending to retail, SME and farm sector - Jun 26, 2012
- Indian banks need to raise Rs.1.75 trillion capital by 2018: RBI - Aug 04, 2012
- Public sector banks will get adequate capital: Pranab (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Rs.140 bn capital infusion for public sector banks okayed - Nov 05, 2011
- UCO Bank might get capital infusion of Rs.2 billion - Feb 01, 2012
- UCO Bank expects Rs.245,000 crore business in 2010-11 - Apr 25, 2011
- Banks need equity capital of Rs.2.7 trillion for expansion - Jan 03, 2012
- City Union Bank to raise Rs.250 crore through rights issue - Aug 03, 2012
- Indian banks well capitalised for Basel III: Subbarao - Dec 03, 2010
- Indian Bank to convert Rs.400 crore preference shares to equity - Jan 30, 2012
- India's financial system robust, but risks remain: RBI (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- IOB plans recovery of Rs.1,500 crore from sticky accounts (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Pranab to review banks' performance - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: banking sector, basel iii, bn, capital adequacy ratio, capital infusion, economic stress, finance ministry, managing director, maturity, norms, public sector banks, shocks, sidelines, term deposits, upto march