Corporate governance, new companies act top priorities: MoilyJuly 13th, 2011 - 11:19 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 13 (IANS) Corporate Affairs Minister M. Veerappa Moily took charge of his new portfolio here early Wednesday and said the passage of a new bill to replace the 55-year-old Companies Act and issues of corporate governance were his top priorities.
Moily also brushed aside suggestions that he was unhappy with the way he was treated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi and shifted out of the ministry of law and justice — a portfolio he was rather confident of retaining.
“This ministry is not new to me. As law minister, I used to get several references from this ministry,” Moily said, in his first comments after taking charge at his new office at ‘C’ Wing of Shastri Bhavan here.
“There is an altogether new bill for companies that has been drafted. My priority is to see it through. It is a state-of-the-art legislation. This is a major challenge,” the minister said, adding he will also focus on corporate governance.
Moily said it was his firm belief that corporate affairs ministry was crucial for the development of India and that it was with this in mind that he will work on his newly assigned portfolio.
“I am very happy with the prime minister and Congress president. They have something in mind. They know I am a reformist. That is why I have been assigned this portfolio. Let me settle down.”
- Ministers assume charge, list priorities (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2011
- Shifting out of law ministry not a slight: Moily - Jul 12, 2011
- Chidambaram new finance minister, Shinde gets home - Jul 31, 2012
- Will take up solicitor general issue with PM: Khurshid (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- New companies act likely in 2012: Veerappa Moily - Sep 12, 2011
- Government keen on passing new companies act - Mar 01, 2012
- Winter session crucial for corporates: Moily - Sep 20, 2011
- Indian air carriers should have professional management: Minister - Feb 07, 2012
- New competition policy regime from 2012: Moily - Oct 17, 2011
- Role of independent directors of company will be clarified: Moily - Feb 07, 2012
- Congress disapproves Kamat's resignation (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- New Competition Policy to be in place next year, says Moily - Sep 12, 2011
- Moily hopeful of passing Companies Bill in budget session - Jan 03, 2012
- Cabinet reshuffle today, major changes in portfolios expected - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, affairs ministry, c wing, congress president sonia gandhi, corporate affairs, corporate governance, firm belief that, law and justice, law minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministry of law, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reformist, something in mind, state of the art, top priorities, veerappa