Corinthians come from behind, Santos draw in season openerJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Jan 22 (IANS) The 2012 football season has kicked off in Brazil. In their opening match of the Sao Paulo state championship, Corinthians came from behind to beat Mirassol 2-1 while Santos gave up their lead and drew 1-1 with XV de Piracicaba.
The winners of the 2011 Brazilian championship began the 2012 season with a slight scare Saturday. Despite their home field advantage in front of nearly 18,000 fans, Mirassol scored the game’s first goal in the 29th minute when Esley picked up on a turnover and drove down the field. The player crossed the ball to teammate Xuxa who scored with a diving header.
After halftime time, Corinthians coach Tite substituted fullback Paulo Andre for an offensive player, Elton. The risky move paid off in the 74th minute as Elton slammed the ball with his first touch past goal-keeper to draw his team level, reported Xinhua.
The winning goal came in the 88th minute. After Alex centered the ball towards the goal, Mirassol’s defender Dezinho accidentally drove the ball into his own goal while trying to clear it.
Corinthians will return to the state championship Jan 25 when they travel to face Guaratingueta in the second round. On the same day, Mirassol will host Catanduvense.
Santos in their season opener struggled to a 1-1 away draw against XV de Piracicaba.
Alan Kardec scored Santos’ first goal of the year in the 32nd minute, finishing a precise pass from Maranhao. As the game was coming to an end, a foul led to a penalty kick for Piracicaba. Andre Cunha converted the shot to tie the score.
Santos coach Tata claimed to be happy with the result, despite losing the lead in the final minutes of the match. With few days to prepare, the coach commended the players’ physical condition and focus.
Tata will continue coaching the reserve players into the next three rounds. Neymar, Paulo Henrique Ganso, Borges, Elano and the rest of the Santos starters are expected to play Feb 5 against rival Palmeiras in the fifth round of the state championship.
- Neymar hat-trick gives Santos emphatic win - Mar 30, 2012
- Adriano scores first goal of season, leads Corinthians to win - Feb 26, 2012
- Sao Paulo win thriller against Santos - Mar 19, 2012
- Santos' seven-game winning streak ends - Mar 11, 2012
- Corinthians win in Adriano's season debut - Feb 19, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- Ganso scores twice as Santos thrash Catanduvense - Apr 16, 2012
- Sao Paulo secures lead of state championship - Mar 30, 2012
- Striker Fabiano recalled to Brazil squad - Sep 12, 2012
- Luis Fabiano leads Sao Paulo to victory - Mar 12, 2012
- Corinthians shock Santos in Libertadores semis - Jun 14, 2012
- Corinthians secure Copa Libertadores knockout-stage berth - Apr 12, 2012
- Neymar scores 100th career goal on birthday - Feb 06, 2012
- Neymar-inspired Santos draw first blood in final - May 07, 2012
- Fabiano enters Sao Paulo's injury list - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: borges, brazilian championship, corinthians, elano, football season, fullback, ganso, goal keeper, home field advantage, maranhao, offensive player, paulo henrique, penalty kick, rio de janeiro, risky move, sao paulo state, season opener, teammate, xinhua, xuxa