Cops were killed in retaliation, Maoists sayAugust 31st, 2010 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 31 (IANS) The six-hour-long gunfight in Bihar’s Lakhisarai district, in which 10 policemen were killed and 10 others were injured, was in retaliation to the staged shootout that left Maoist leader Azad and a journalist dead, guerrillas said Tuesday.
“The attack was in retailiation to the fake encounter of Azad and a journalist sympathetic to Maoist cause. It was also in retaliation to the killing of eight Maoists in Jamui district a few months ago,” Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) spokesman Avinash said in a letter to the local media offices in Lakhisarai.
Avinash, who is the spokesman for Maoists of Jamui, Munger, Lakhisarai, Banka and Bhagalpur districts, described the attack on police as the rebels’ answer to the government’s Operation Green Hunt against them.
He also warned the Bihar government of more violent attacks if the operations against Maoists were not immediately stopped.
Ten policemen were killed in a gunfight with Maoists Sunday in the forests of Ghoghraghat Kanimoh, some 150 km from here. Seven of the 10 injured personnel were admitted to the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH).
The guerrillas looted 30 rifles from the security personnel.
Additional Director General of Police (Headquarters) P.K. Thakur said that additional security forces, including a special COBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action) battalion and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers, were engaged in combing operations.
- Time is running out for four abducted Bihar cops - Sep 01, 2010
- Maoists kill six security men in Bihar gunfight - Aug 30, 2010
- Maoists kill six security men in Bihar gunfight (Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Maoists kill 10 security men in Bihar (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Maoists extend deadline for abducted Bihar cops (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Maoists to decide fate of kidnapped Bihar cops at 'people's court' - Sep 02, 2010
- Kidnapped cop Tete's body found in Bihar forest (Third Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Worried families of abducted policemen pray for release - Sep 02, 2010
- Kidnapped Bihar policeman's body found (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Maoists to call people's court, Bihar cops' families in despair (Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Maoists sorry for wrongly saying Yadav was killed - Sep 04, 2010
- Two suspected Maoists held, search on for abducted cops - Sep 04, 2010
- Maoists kill abducted cop, set Friday deadline for others (Second Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Body in police uniform found near Bihar forest (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Maoist accused of killing Bihar cop arrested - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: additional security, avinash, azad, bhagalpur, bihar government, cobra commando, communist party of india, crpf, guerrillas, gunfight, local media, maoist, maoists, munger, police headquarters, reserve police, retaliation, security personnel, thakur, violent attacks