Cop’s two security guards jailed for his murderMarch 28th, 2011 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 28 (IANS) Two personal security men of the state police’s deputy inspector general were Monday sentenced to jail by a court in Orissa for his killing in “an accidental firing” nearly five years ago, a lawyer said.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Jaswinder Singh was hit by a bullet fired from the gun of one of his personal security officers (PSOs), who claimed that it was a case of “accidental firing”.
Additional District Sessions Judge Suresh Kumar Patnaik held both Seshananda Sarangi and Ashish Sarangi guilty of Singh’s murder, said government lawyer Prabhakar Patnaik while giving details of the hearing at Jaypore in Koraput district, 521 km from here.
The court sentenced Seshananda to 10 years in prison and asked him to pay a penalty of Rs.20,000. He will have to spend two more years in jail, if he fails to pay the fine.
Ashish was awarded three-year jail term and ordered to pay a fine of Rs.10,000. Non-payment of the fine would invite imprisonment for eight more months.
The DIG of southwestern range, headquartered at Sunabeda town in Koraput district, Jaswinder Singh was shot dead Oct 23, 2006, while he was on his way to neighbouring Rayagada district on official work. He was accompanied by the PSOs at the time of the incident.
Although the PSOs said it was a case of “accidental firing”, police found it to be murder and arrested both of them, three days after the crime.
- Orissa cop's two guards jailed for his murder - Mar 29, 2011
- Six injured in fire at HAL plant in Odisha - Aug 18, 2012
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- Maoists kill four - Jul 07, 2011
- Jail riot in UP leaves one dead, dozen injured - Mar 11, 2012
- Three sentenced to life for killing shoe baron - Sep 21, 2011
- Punjab transfers 30 senior police officers - Aug 05, 2012
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Orissa wants more districts in special scheme - Jul 15, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Indian-origin man jailed for life in Britain - Jun 09, 2011
- Maoists to release Hikaka Thursday: lawyer - Apr 25, 2012
- Republic Day celebrated peacefully in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Three injured in Maoist blast in Orissa - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: 10 years, ashish, cop, deputy inspector general, government lawyer, imprisonment, jail term, jaswinder singh, orissa, personal security, psos, sarangi, security guards, security men, security officers, sessions, state police, suresh kumar