Cops summoned for assaulting sportspersonsMay 10th, 2008 - 12:43 am ICT by admin
Varanasi, May 9 (IANS) The Allahabad High Court Friday summoned senior police officers of Varanasi over alleged police assault on three state-level tennis players. The court, taking suo moto cognisance of the matter, asked the inspector general, deputy inspector general, senior superintendent of police and other police officers of Varanasi to appear before it May 12.
Om Lata Rai and her two brothers Nagendra and Rajendra were allegedly assaulted by the Varanasi police after they were caught riding three on a motorcycle, against the rules.
Rai alleged that instead of imposing a fine for violating traffic rules, the cops started beating her brothers and hurled abuses at her.
Following the incident, Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Vikram Singh ordered a probe and two sub-inspectors were transferred without posting. Singh Friday apologised to the three and provided them new pairs of sports shoes.
- NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deaths - Mar 29, 2011
- Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh cops - Mar 15, 2011
- Custody of senior Rajasthan BJP leader extended - Apr 09, 2012
- Stripping case: Delhi Police to get rights panel notice - Jun 11, 2010
- 13 Delhi cops discharged in staged shootout case - May 24, 2012
- Punjab NRI panel asks police to trace runaway husband - May 16, 2012
- 850 women missing in Himachal - Nov 16, 2011
- Court to hear Andhra minister's graft charges against colleagues - Sep 27, 2011
- Rajasthan legislator held for 2006 'staged' shootout - Apr 05, 2012
- Contempt plea against Mamata on judiciary remarks (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Delhi Police gets notice from rights panel in stripping case - Jun 14, 2010
- Rajasthan BJP legislator to be tried for staged shootout - Apr 24, 2012
- Court extends Rajasthan BJP leader's judicial custody - Apr 16, 2012
- Body of girl raped, whipped to be exhumed - Feb 07, 2011
- Cop held for assaulting doctor - Dec 30, 2009