Cop’s front-rolls: No contempt case against official (Lead)February 15th, 2012 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday refused to initiate criminal contempt proceedings against Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police Seju P. Kuruvilla for ordering a constable to do front-rolls in the Patiala House court complex as a punishment Feb 7.
The division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice R.S. Endlaw said: “We are of the opinion that prima facie it is not a contempt of court act, and we are not inclined to initiate any criminal contempt proceedings.”
The court was critical of the punishment given to constable Dinesh Kumar, who is in his 30s. “It is inhuman in nature. Furthermore, awarding such punishment in court was not appropriate.”
The court disposed of a lawyer’s plea seeking contempt proceedings against Kuruvilla and asked the city police commissioner to look into the matter. It also directed the officer not to give such inhuman punishment to his subordinates in future.
Kuruvilla Feb 7 allegedly scolded Dinesh Kumar for talking on his cell phone and not frisking people who were entering the court complex while he was on duty, and as a punishment made him do front-rolls within the court complex.
The court also slammed the constable for not performing his duty in the high security area in central Delhi.
Advocate M.S. Vinayak, appearing for Kuruvilla, told the court that the front-rolls were a common practice and part of policemen’s drills. “It is a minor and normal punishment, it is a part of fitness training and drill.”
Lawyer R.K. Saini had sought initiation of criminal contempt proceeding against Kuruvilla for scandalising the court and its proceedings.
- Cop's front-rolls: No contempt case against official (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi Police on cop's front-rolls (Second lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Delhi Police official to probe cop's front-rolls - Feb 08, 2012
- Cop made to do frontrolls in court area, lawyers file complaint (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Cop made to do frontrolls in court area, lawyers file complaint (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Constable forced to roll on court ground, lawyers file complaint - Feb 07, 2012
- Two constables forced to drink urine in Meghalaya (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Plea in SC seeks action against Mamata (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Court firm on punishing lawyer for assaulting woman colleague - Jan 16, 2012
- Mosque demolition: Contempt plea filed against Dikshit - Jan 15, 2011
- Police instructor suspended for forcing constables to drink urine (Second lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Lawyer questioned for criticising Shivani case judge (Lead) - Oct 24, 2011
- Court notice to 12 private hospitals in Delhi - Aug 08, 2012
- Delhi police gears for Anna's protest - Mar 24, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: central delhi, commissioner of police, constable, contempt case, contempt of court, contempt of court act, contempt proceeding, contempt proceedings, criminal contempt, delhi high court, deputy commissioner, dinesh kumar, division bench, fitness training, inhuman punishment, kuruvilla, patiala house court, police commissioner, saini, security area