Cops attacked to avenge firing after Mecca blastMay 19th, 2009 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 19 (IANS) A little known terror outfit called Tehreek-e-Galba-e-Islam has claimed responsibility for Monday’s attack on policemen here and said it was to avenge police firing on Muslims protesting the 2007 blast at the historic Mecca Masjid.
One home guard was killed and a police constable was injured when unidentified gunmen opened fire at a police picket in Falaknuma in the old city Monday.
Police claimed late Monday that a pamphlet in the name of Tehreek-e-Galba-e-Islam was found at the scene. It stated that the attack was to avenge the death of five protesters immediately after the blast at the mosque.
The attack on policemen took place on the second anniversary of the blast at the Mecca Masjid, which killed nine persons and injured dozens of others. Minutes after the blast, police had opened fire on a mob outside the mosque, killing five people.
Home Minister K. Jana Reddy told reporters late Monday that the gunmen belonging to the little-known outfit left behind the pamphlet before escaping.
Police Commissioner B. Prasada Rao said the pamphlet was in the name of one Fasiuddin Amir and he threatened to carry out more attacks to eliminate all policemen involved in the police firing.
Police are trying to find out who Fasiuddin Amir is, though they suspect it could be false name - in 1993, a terrorist called Mohammed Fasiuddin was killed in a gun battle with police.
Home Guard K. Balaswamy, 24, was killed in Monday’s attack while police constable Rajendra Prasad was critically injured.
Police said two youngsters wearing helmets walked up to the policemen and opened fire at close range.
The attackers escaped on a two-wheeler. Six bullet shells and two live rounds, all of 7.65 mm calibre, were found on the spot.
- Suspect formed terror outfit to avenge police firing (Lead) - Jul 15, 2010
- Mecca Masjid blast anniversary passes off peacefully - May 18, 2011
- Suspected terror operative identified in Hyderabad shooting - May 15, 2010
- Cop killed in suspected terror attack in Hyderabad (Second Lead) - May 14, 2010
- Policeman killed in Hyderabad shootout - May 14, 2010
- Cop shot dead in Hyderabad, high alert in city - May 14, 2010
- Cop shot dead in Hyderabad, terror attack suspected (Lead) - May 14, 2010
- Terror suspect arrested in Hyderabad - Jul 14, 2010
- Eight die as militants open fire in Pakistan park (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Man arrested for supplying arms to radicals - Oct 21, 2010
- Mecca Masjid blast third anniversary passes off - May 18, 2010
- Muslim groups demand fresh probe into Mecca Masjid blast - May 03, 2010
- Report on police firing after Mecca Masjid blast submitted - Oct 16, 2010
- Securityman killed in Hyderabad - May 18, 2009
- Home Guard killed in suspected terror attack (Lead) - May 18, 2009