Cop, three others held for senior’s killingNovember 9th, 2011 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Nov 8 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested a police officer, along with three others, in connection with a mob burning alive a police station head in Rajasthan’s Sawai Madhopur district in March, officials said Tuesday.
Phool Muhammad, the station house officer (SHO) of Mantown, was burnt alive by a mob after protests against police inaction in a murder case turned violent March 17. Sixteen policemen were also injured when the mob started pelting stones in Sawai Madhopur’s Surwal village, some 170 km from here.
Three area residents - Brahmanand Meena, Mukesh Mali and Shyam Lal - and assistant sub-inspector Sumer Singh were arrested Monday and presented in a court in Sawai Madhopur Tuesday. “They have been sent to three-day police custody,” a police official said
The three residents were arrested for setting the SHO on fire, while the sub-inspector, who had been placed under suspension after the incident, was charged with negligence in carrying out his duty and provoking the mob, the official said.
The state government had announced a CBI probe in the matter.
“The special investigation team of Rajasthan police set up to probe the matter before the CBI took over the case had arrested 19 people. A first information report against 1,000 identified and unidentified people had been registered,” said the official.
The people were protesting the failure of police to solve the murder of 65-year-old Dehta Devi, who was robbed and murdered Feb 9.
The violence took place after Rajesh Badolas, the state coordinator of Rajasthan Gramin Yuva Shakti Morcha, died after he set himself ablaze to protest police inaction in the murder and then jumped to death from a water tank.
- Cop burnt alive by mob in Rajasthan - Mar 18, 2011
- Jaipur shootout: Four cops sent to five days' CBI custody - Mar 12, 2011
- Ex-cop gets bail in Rajasthan staged shootout - Aug 25, 2011
- Chandigarh gets its first woman SHO - Jul 01, 2011
- Maoists held for abduction, murder - Jun 14, 2012
- Four Rajasthan cops accused of staged gunfight surrender - Jul 26, 2011
- Bail denied to suspended cop in Dara Singh killing - Mar 02, 2012
- Staged shootout: Charges framed against Rajasthan IPS officer - May 01, 2012
- CP shootout case: Supreme Court upholds life sentence for 10 policemen - May 02, 2011
- Rajasthan legislator held for 2006 'staged' shootout - Apr 05, 2012
- Dara Singh case: BJP leader named in charge sheet - Jun 03, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Court nod for seizing Rajasthan cop's properties - Aug 20, 2011
- Bihar gets its first all-women police station - Jan 23, 2012
- UP policeman sent to jail for sodomy - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, gramin, house officer, information report, investigation team, lal, mukesh, murder case, phool, police custody, police inaction, police official, rajasthan, rajesh, sawai madhopur, shyam, state coordinator, station house, water tank