Cop suspended for not cooperating in Assam youth’s death-probeJuly 26th, 2012 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 26 (IANS) A railway police official was suspended in Bihar’s Bhagalpur district for failing to cooperate in a probe into the killing of a youth from Assam, police said Thursday.
The body of Pritam Bhattacharjee, 25, was found near a railway station on the Barauni-Katihar route July 17.
Manish Kumar, in-charge of the Naugachia government railway police station, was suspended by Katihar railway police superintendent for not cooperating in the investigation, police said.
Bhattacharjee had gone missing July 9 from Naugachia station in Bhagalpur, about 200 km from here.
The police have recovered Bhattacharjee’s rucksack and asked forensic experts to examine it.
Bhattacharjee had gone missing after he began chasing four youth who had snatched his bag containing his original certificates and were trying to flee after the train stopped at Naugachia station.
Bhattacharjee, a native of Silchar in Assam, had reportedly told his mother on phone that he was being “tormented” by four youth who were travelling with him on the Awadh-Assam Express after it crossed Katihar.
Bhattacharjee, who held a master’s degree in physics, was going to Delhi to appear for a PhD test.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said the police was conducting an in-depth inquiry into the case.
- Policeman suspended over Assam youth's death (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- ABVP for CBI probe into killing of Assam youth - Aug 02, 2012
- Missing Assam youth's body found in Bihar - Jul 15, 2012
- Parts of northeast cut-off, train services disrupted - Oct 22, 2011
- One dead, 50 injured in Bihar train accident - Oct 08, 2009
- Train services yet to be restored in northeast - Jun 10, 2012
- Rajdhani derails in Bihar, no injuries reported (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Rajdhani Express derails in Bihar - May 25, 2010
- 43 major train tragedies in two decades (Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- 522 Hospitals and Diagnostic Centres to be set up, says Mamata - Feb 24, 2010
- Parts of northeast cut-off as train services suspended - Oct 10, 2011
- 'Another month to restore train services to northeast' - Jul 02, 2012
- Railway services in northeast partially restored - Jul 25, 2012
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- Rail official killed in Bihar - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: assam police, awadh, bhagalpur district, certificates, chief minister, cop, death probe, forensic experts, july 17, manish, nitish kumar, physics, police official, police said thursday, police station, police superintendent, railway police, railway station, rucksack, silchar