Cop killed, 24 others injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Second Lead)June 2nd, 2012 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 2 (IANS) A policeman was killed and his five colleagues were injured, along with 19 prisoners, Saturday when a blast triggered by the Maoists ripped through their vehicle in the insurgency-hit Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, police said.
“All the 25 people seated in the vehicle sustained serious injuries but the condition of three policemen and 11 prisoners is critical,” Additional Director General of Police (Maoist Operations) Ram Niwas told IANS.
The attack took place on a bridge on National Highway No.30 in the newly-formed Kondagaon district, some 210 km south from state capital Raipur.
The blast ripped through the vehicle carrying 25 people, including 19 prisoners, who were returning to Bastar district headquarters Jagdalpur from Kondagaon after being presented in a local court, police here said.
Niwas said it was a powerful blast.
The local police officials admitted that the attack was “a fallout of serious security lapse”. The critically injured would be taken to Raipur for medical treatment.
A police official in Jagdalpur said the attack “may be a case of mistaken identity” as the jail vehicle looked similar to the vehicle used by police and paramilitary forces in the Bastar region.
- 25 cops, prisoners injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- 25 cops, prisoners injured in Chhattisgarh blast - Jun 02, 2012
- Chhattisgarh steps up security during Maoist protest week - Jun 03, 2012
- Special police teams to keep vigil on top Maoist leaders (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Maoists blow up police vehicle in Chhattisgarh - May 10, 2011
- Maoists blow up bridge on key national highway - Dec 06, 2011
- Two deadly attacks in Chhatttisgarh, 15 cops killed (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- High alert in Chhattisgarh - Aug 14, 2012
- 10 securitymen die in Maoist landmine blast (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Aug 07, 2012
- Maoist landmine blast kills five CRPF men in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Security forces kill 17 Maoists (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: case of mistaken identity, colleagues, cop, district headquarters, fallout, insurgency, jagdalpur, local court, maoist, maoists, medical treatment, paramilitary forces, police official, police officials, policeman, policemen, prisoners, ram niwas, security lapse, serious security