Cooking with corpse in kitchen: British Indian loses business

October 15th, 2008 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS  

London, Oct 15 (IANS) An Indian origin restaurateur in Britain has been banned from the food business for life after he was caught making ‘kebabs’ even as a dead body lay in the same room.Jaswinder Singh of Pappu Sweet Centre and Catering in Wolverhampton did not stop cooking although one of his workers died and his body lay on a sofa in the kitchen.

A local court refused to give Singh any kind of reprieve after finding that he had a multitude of health violations listed against him in the past. Singh had been in business since 1996.

Singh was caught cooking next to the dead worker in August by a police officer investigating the employee’s sudden death. The constable was so disgusted, he immediately closed the premises, The Telegraph has said.

The list of violations includes staff smoking and spitting on the floor, a rodent infestation with a dead rat found under a pan in the kitchen, refrigerators running at more than 68F (20 degrees Celsius), mouldy food and filthy conditions.

Singh, unrepresented in court and speaking through an interpreter, admitted to some of the charges of unhygienic conditions, but pleaded with the judge to be given “one last chance” to improve.

However, District Judge Martin Brown ruled: “This is extremely serious, the initial findings included dead vermin, rotting food, quite disgusting and horrendous conditions and the rather unpleasant details of the findings in August. This all says to me unequivocally that you are not a fit person to be preparing food for business. I have effectively taken away your business.”

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |